Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 all-in-one, 23-a005a.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to anyone who can help:

I have a HP Pavilion 23, All-in-one, Model 23-a005a which was upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win10 a year ago.

Problem: Powers on but with no display and seems not to boot.

This was purchased brand new in Australia in 2014  and kept in a home environment and appears to have been treated very well on the whole. It was not used for gaming and not for extended hours. Same owner from purchase time.

It worked fine until the display stopped turning on several times in the last 2 months but power was on.

The hard drive light did not go on.

There were no beeps with keyboard/mouse connected or disconnected.

The power light was always on (power button on top edge and Motherboard plug inlet at rear), the fan was on, the HDD made some spinning or possible read/write sounds. The DVD player tray opens/closes with light on.

The PC will not boot Ubuntu Linux bootable discs or USB sticks.

The SD/MS car/stick slot  light was lighting up on PC startup  during my attempted repairs and then stopped.

There are no beep sounds at all.

The owner admits to pulling the power cord out to turn it off since they didn't realise the power button is the correct method to power down.

What I've tried so far:

I've followed all troubleshooting advice that is provided on the HP website specifically for this model and Operating System  and also a generic fix for resetting the BIOS/UEFI by removing the battery & holding power button for 30/60 secs.

This included all HP's methods using keyboard key combinations with use of power button and attempts to enter BIOS program even without the video/monitor displaying.

I have no VGA/HDMI video cable connection on this PC and I dont have the USB-VGA adaptor.

I also shorted the battery terminals with a wire.

The battery is charged well and appears to be working.

I reseated the single 4GB RAM card and the Hard disk drive and checked all cables to motherboard.

I tried to get specific details on resetting the BIOS/UEFI by reseating the jumper on the "ROM RECOVERY" chip but cannot find details for the motherboard - Guilin GM (by Quanta of Taiwan). So I have not attempted this.

HP has no BIOS software for this model on its website.

Motherboard is FM2 socket, AMD Bolton D3 chipset.

My guess is that it is a damaged BIOS that wont even reset...or it needs a jumper reset.

or It needs the BIOS reflashed by removing the BIOS chip or  using the 'In-place' method using a 8 pin connector to clone board? to a laptop?

Or there is a Motherboard fault.

A schematic of the Motherboard or instructions on resetting the BIOS via jumper pins would be appreciated.

CPU = AMD A4.

Motherboard number is: DA0WJYMB6E0  REV:E.  Dated as 2013 on board.

The graphics chip is an AMD Radeon HD 8670a which is integrated on the Motherboard.

The chip marked as ROM RECOVERY is 8 pins and is situated on the left lower corner of the RAM. The single jumper sits across pins 1 and 2.

This seems to be the SPI header to  connect to the BIOS/UEFI?

The BIOS/UEFI chip is an 8 pin WINBOND, 25Q64FVSIG with "1301" written under this number.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you, Adam, Australia.

Product info on HP site:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-23-a000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/5359336/model/...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Adam9251 

We're not HP Tech Support, so there is nothing we can do for you from here either to diagnose issues with the PC or repair them.

HP does not release schematic information, as that is considered proprietary, and the third-parties that makes motherboards under contract to HP do not release that information, either.

You clearly have done a LOT of work to try to figure out the problems, and you've done far more than we can from here.

Since All-in-Ones are basically large laptops with external keyboards, they present the same servicing problems as laptops -- so your only recourse at this point is to take or send it to a service facility that can check it out.

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWOOD,

I understand.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.