Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-g017c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced the Samsung LTM230HL08 screen that was cracked. The system booted up fine 1-2 times.

From the next day on, the system hangs at the HP logo at boot and doesn't go past that no matter how long. I can't access the BIOS settings or select a boot device. 

Things I"ve retried:

- Disconnecting hard drive.

- Reseating cables.

- Unhooking any un-necessary cables not required to boot.

- Removed CMOS battery for awhile and put back in.

- With the power cord unplugged, held in power button for 20-30 seconds at a time and multiple times.

I had trouble getting the plastic back casing on. It wasn't going to snap in on the sides. It seems the bottom stand isn't lined up right with the system resulting in not being able to snap back casing on all the way around. I tried redoing the screws for the bottom stand.

The heat shield was covering the motherboard when it was working. When the problem started, I was only working with the bottom stand and plastic back casing putting back together.

Thanks

Mark

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@racermark

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you've got the display replaced for your HP Pavilion 23-g017c All-in-One Desktop PC. I read that the PC freezes at the HP logo and does not boot to Windows. I have read your post comprehensively and appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Press and hold the power button to power off.
  • Disconnect all cables and devices from the PC. Also, disconnect the power button from the PC.
  • Press and old the power button again for 10 seconds.
  • Now, reconnect the power cable and power on the PC.

If the issue persists then please initiate a hardware test on the PC. The following steps will help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test one by one on the hard drive, system board, memory and CPU.

If the PC does not launch the hardware diagnosis or if any of the tests fail then please contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware repair options for the PC.

I hope this information helps. Let me know the outcome. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

I disconnected the power cable from the motherboard and held in the power button for at least 10 seconds. 

I tried to get into the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics menu by hitting F2 but it doesn't go there. The HP blue logo stays on the screen and nothing happens. I also can't get into BIOS settings either. When I turn on the computer, it's just the HP blue logo and nothing else.

HP Recommended

@racermark

Thanks for letting me know the results. You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

I did some more digging on this and suggest you to perform a BIOS rollback on the PC. 

Please refer to the steps mentioned under "Recovering the BIOS using key press combination" from this HP document.

Hope this helps. If not then please reach out to our HP phone support to check the available repair options. 

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

> hitting F2 but it doesn't go there.

> The HP blue logo stays on the screen and nothing happens.

> I also can't get into BIOS settings either.

> When I turn on the computer, it's just the HP blue logo and nothing else.

All signs of a hardware problem. Given how [not s] "far" that you get, it is either:

* motherboard;

* RAM;

* CPU;

Probably, the disk-drive is OK.

It is easiest to remove the RAM, and test the sticks in some other computer that takes the same RAM (DDR2? DDR3?).

If you see that "splash" screen, you can assume that the CPU is OK.

HP Recommended

The memory is DDR3 - 1066mhz and I'm testing it in my laptop with the MemTest86+ utility now.

The hard drive was ok. HD Sentinel program showed it was 100% healthy no issues.

I thought it was an issue with the motherboard also so it wouldn't surprise me. The bottom stand wouldn't line up exactly with the rest of the system (all-in-one portion). I redid the screws for the bottom stand and also guts of the system. But still the bottom stand isn't lining up right. I couldn't snap in the sides of the back plastic bezel on the sides as a result but the top/bottom of the bezel snapped in. 

The motherboard had the metal shield over it when it was working last week one night. After that I was only working with the bottom stand/back plastic bezel. The only thing I did with the motherboard is disconnecting cables/memory etc. It's been stuck at the HP logo ever since.

HP Recommended

Memory test no errors. It's narrowing down to a motherboard issue.

HP Recommended

I ordered motherboard part # 730937-001 today and I'll update what happens but that should do the trick and get it going again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your efforts...  what you explain I try that it wasn't helpful.. But I saw another post it was mention after  restart your device go for system utility to check for hardware test... I just restart my system and press '' windows + B at a time ''  for two to three times... I heard three beep sounds and ask me to check for keyboard jack properly .. I press F1 button for boot and windows logo appeared.

Regards 

HP Recommended

Glad you were able to get yours to boot. I replaced the motherboard since it was a business system and that got it going again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.