Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer will not start up when I turn it on.  I can hear it turn on and sounds like it is booting up but then goes to a black screen and stays there.   I attempted to diagnose the problem by hitting the 'esc' button during the startup process.  I ran all the test.  all passed except one... the DST check failed?  The following error msg comes back

"failure id: 90DU6C-0008RX-WPTWXG-60WM03"

Does anyone know what this means?  and What can I do?  Is all the information on my hard drive lost forever or is it somehow retrieveable???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Phil815

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have a black screen on startup and the hardware test failed,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern,

as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, I have confirmed the failure ID you've sent: 

90DU6C-0008RX-WPTWXG-60WM03

And Here's what the ID represents: 303

Hard Disk 1 Full Test Failure 

  

You could replace the part on your own, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: Click here & order it via the HP Parts store (Click here) or simply Contact HP for setting up a repair service via phone support and they will provide the details of the service center as you cannot take the PC directly to a service center and has to go via an HP phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Phil815

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have a black screen on startup and the hardware test failed,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern,

as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, I have confirmed the failure ID you've sent: 

90DU6C-0008RX-WPTWXG-60WM03

And Here's what the ID represents: 303

Hard Disk 1 Full Test Failure 

  

You could replace the part on your own, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: Click here & order it via the HP Parts store (Click here) or simply Contact HP for setting up a repair service via phone support and they will provide the details of the service center as you cannot take the PC directly to a service center and has to go via an HP phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

CAN YOU BRIEFLY EXPLAIN, WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS TYPE OF HARDWARE FAILURE?  AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO RETRIEVE THE INFORMATION ON THIS HARD DRIVE?

HP Recommended

@Phil815

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Actually, I already have, it's a hardware malfunction within the hard drive,

The information may or may not be retrievable as hard drives are complicated parts, I recommend you attempt a backup by connecting this hard drive to an alternate computer via an external case or just check with a local tech for guidance.

HP always recommends to ensure a weekly or at least a monthly backup to safeguard the data,

If you haven't made a backup while it had been working, I suggest you try the above steps.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions for purchasing a new part however, I get the following message:  This part is not yet available for purchase. "  1TB SATA 3Gb/s 512e hard drive - 7,200 RPM, WD XL1000S  

Can you help?

HP Recommended

You suggested I attempt a backup by connecting the hard drive to an alternate computer via an external case but how will I be able to accomplish this task if there is a problem with the hard drive?  Can you give me some real steps?  I went out and purchased an external hard drive with more than enough space..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.