Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500 pc
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Trying to get Pavilion 500 pc to boot from usb or dvd.

Followed the steps recommended by HP in this article- https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03659945.

After the Disable secure boot, and the enable Legacy steps, I saved the changes. 

The computer re-booted, I pressed power button to shut it down (as recommended). When I restarted the computer to continue the changes, suddenly I no longer have video, keyboard, or mouse connection! Basically, I'm unable to use the system.

I know how to reset cmos battery using jumpers to get back to factory reset for bios. But I need to upgrade this computer to windows 10.

Thanks for all your help.

Usman

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

1st Please try a Hard Reset
This is valid for most notebooks, and some desktops.
Press and Hold the PWR off button for 4 seconds to force a PWR off.
Unplug from the wall.
IF you see a battery compartment door, then your computer has a removable battery.

IF NOT then you do not have a removable battery.

Remove any removable battery.
Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

(Re-insert any battery you removed).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Turn off the notebook.
Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time (WinKey +B).

NB: On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key and the V key (WinKey +V).

While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

HP Recommended

Thank you Distinguished Professor. Much appreciated.

As I said in my original post, my system is HP Pavilion 500 Desktop pc, not laptop.

Nevertheless I tried your suggested steps; it did not work for this desktop.

I reset the cmos battery using the jumper and was able to boot up to enter bios setup. I disabled Secure boot, enabled Legacy boot, slected boot from dvd, saved and exit. When computer rebooted boom! - there was no video, no power to keyboard, and no power to mouse. Because there is no video, I have no ideas if the computer actually booted into windows.

So back to square one, and lost for what to do next.

Thanks again.

Usman

HP Recommended

@tdellum wrote:   I reset the cmos battery using the jumper and was able to boot up to enter bios setup. I disabled Secure boot, enabled Legacy boot, slected boot from dvd, saved and exit. When computer rebooted boom! - there was no video, no power to keyboard, and no power to mouse. Because there is no video, I have no ideas if the computer actually booted into windows.

So back to square one, and lost for what to do next.

Thanks again.

Usman

So can you reverse any of the steps?  NO because you can't see anything.

I would disconnect the Hard Drive (and anything else non-essential) like the DVD, as I dont have the Model of the PC it is hard to offer help.

But if there is more than 1 video output choice I would try plugging into that.

Matching products for United Kingdom (10)

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-000-desktop-pc-series/5358992/manuals

Figure : Video card
Image of video card
Figure : Ports
Image of video card bracket showing ports
  1. HDMI
  2. DVI
  • Form Factor: Low profile with ATX bracket

SO I AM JUST GUESSING.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Distinguished Professor.

Sorry for not being clear. My system is HP Pavilion 500-018 desktop with windows 8 updated to 8.1 (64 bit system).

I was able to get video (and power to keyboard, mouse etc) by using jumper to reset battery and get Bios to factory default.

Trouble is that did'nt solve my problem because i need to use Legacy boot so I can boot from DVD or USB.

Perhaps I should restate the history of this: I wnated to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8.1. So did the following:

1. I was having issues with windows 8 not booting up; could only boot to Safe Mode.

2. Tried all Repair options with HP built-in software but no luck;

3. So decided to upgrade to windows 10;

4. Created restore media on dvd.

5. Downloaded windows 10 file and installed.

6. Windows 10 installed ok. Shutdown the machine.

7. When I booted it up the following  day, it wont complete boot; and all repair steps did not help.

8. I then did diagnostics on the HDD using Deep Scan, and it reports problems with hdd (quick scan says hdd is fine).

9. Created new sets of restore media; installed new HDD and tried to restore windows unto the new hdd. It failed to complete restore.

What I would like to do is a clean-install of windows 10 from an iso file on dvd. But I can't get Bios to to permit Legacy Boot - every time I disable secure boot, enable legacy boot (DVD), safe and exit, I loose video, power to keyboard and mouse, and no boot from dvd (usb).

My Bios version: 2.15.1234 (2013)

Thanks again.

Usman

HP Recommended

Hi

What sometimes works in these situations is....

Make a small 6 Gb partition at the Back of your HDD, copy the expanded .iso there and add any HP files you want/need.

I call mine X:\, yours could be U:\.

X:\>dir
 Volume in drive X is Recovery
  Directory of X:\

10/02/2017  19:22               128 autorun.inf
20/03/2017  05:15    <DIR>          boot
18/03/2017  06:14           395,220 bootmgr
18/03/2017  07:28         1,203,616 bootmgr.efi
20/03/2017  05:15    <DIR>          efi
09/08/2018  16:55    <DIR>          HP_Drvrs
18/03/2017  06:40            80,704 setup.exe
13/08/2017  13:42    <DIR>          sources
20/03/2017  05:15    <DIR>          support
               4 File(s)      1,679,668 bytes
               5 Dir(s)   1,485,217,792 bytes free

Now if you can use the setup.exe file from there you dont need any DVD or USB anymore.

W8 Repair.pngYou may need to change the Secure/Legacy  boot option, and the boot sequence also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.