Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 550-153wb Won't Boot

Pavilion 550-153wb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion 550-153wb no longer boots. When plugged up to power, the light on the back of the PSU stays solid green and the power button on the front of the PC does nothing. I've swapped the PSU with a known-working replacement and the results are the same. I've tried removing the CMOS battery and resetting the CMOS, but no such luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 550-153wb Won't Boot

Greetings zettlert,

Welcome to the forum.

I usually let the system sit for about 10 minutes after removing the CR2032 MB battery. I also replace the existing battery with a new battery.

You have probably eliminated the power supply as a possible cause.

Examine the motherboard and discrete graphics card for thermal damage or bulging/leaking capacitors. Check all data, and power supply connections to internal devices, and check front panel connections to the motherboard.

I usually then disconnect peripheral devices.

Try to boot the PC with only a monitor connected to the PC.

Now you have to look at internal components.

All of the following steps require restarting the system as you go to troubleshoot each component.

Disconnect all internal SATA devices.

Disconnect the USB internal card reader.

Remove all RAM modules.

Try each HP factory memory module in each memory slot. Restart the system with each memory module and memory slot iteration.

Try a different stick of, known good, RAM in each memory slot. Restart the system as you move through each memory slot.

Install a discrete graphics card if you are using onboard graphics. Remove the graphics card if you are using discrete graphics.

What's left?

The power switch or some integrated component on the motherboard.

Processor failure is usually not indicated. But the pins on an Intel processor socket are fragile. Damage could only occur if the processor was removed and reseated incorrectly.

You would have to install a known good replacement CPU to eliminate this component as the cause.

This process usually works for me. The motherboard may have failed if the system will not POST or you see no error messages or hear no "beep codes" after disconnecting HDDs or removing all memory modules.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation