HP Pavilion Desktop - 510-p020 will not boot with dual monitors connected

Dual monitors:

- Dell connected to HDMI

- Dell connected to VGA

Troubleshooting steps:

1. repaced power supply
  2. power supply lights up, fan runs, windows does not start
  3. shut down, reset CMOS
  4. disconnect monitor from VGA, leave monitor connected to HDMI:  system starts
  5. connected 2nd monitor to VGA: extended desktop appears
  6. shut down
  7. disconnect monitor from HDMI, leave monitor connnected to VGA:  system starts
  8. connected 2nd monitor to HDMI: extended desktop appears
  9. shut down, reset CMOS
  10. connected monitor to VGA and 2nd monitor to HDMI
  11. power supply lights up, fan runs, windows does not start

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
26,476 26,431 2,200 3,373
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MasiniGroup

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the device doesn't boot into windows when a dual monitor setup is active on your device,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you updated the BIOS?

Or the video card on your desktop?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

The following types of updates are available through Windows Update: (with a single monitor, & once the below steps are completed, restart the device with dual monitor to check if it works)

• Security updates: These updates are usually critical and help make your computer more secure from online threats.

• Windows bug fixes and enhancements: Updates to improve the experience in Windows.

• Drivers: Computer and hardware component manufacturers work with Microsoft to supply updated drivers through Windows update. These are usually available as optional updates in the Windows Update experience. Some drivers might not be available.

NOTE:

Business computers - In some cases, the updates might be controlled in a network-related environment. To validate, contact your company's IT department or your local IT service.

HP recommends that you use Windows Update on a regular basis. Microsoft, HP, and other hardware and software vendors diligently pursue fixes and enhancements for their products. Many vendors, including HP, use the Windows Update tool to distribute important updates.

The following list describes some of the types of updates that are not distributed through Windows Update:

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2pxVKdI

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  https://hp.care/2moMFSc

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Suggested steps did not resolve problem:

1. Dual monitor - disconnected
  2. Windows Updates - Completed
  3. Video driver - checked; no new drivers available
  4. BIOS - updated
  5. Dual Monitor  - reconnected
  6. Restarted  - windows does not load
0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,468 21,456 1,417 2,074
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MasiniGroup,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here. 

Thank you for the information.

I would like to know whether you have installed any graphics card on your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to boot to bios (keep tapping the F10 key on startup to boot to bios) and enable onboard graphics card and check whether that resolves the issue.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation