Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6551uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello...I need some help please.

I have an old desktop which I'm now using to do home schooling, that works fine as long as it doesn't restart!

As soon as it does (usually after update) the PC fails to restart. (freezes during spinning wheel)

When starting windows it freezes and is not recoverable, windows repair does not resolve issue.
I have to do a reset windows each time from a USB drive.

I'm thinking this may be BIOS or hardware related, but all diagnosis I've done can't isolate the problem.

HP Pavilion p6551uk with 8 Gb Ram running Win 10 home 20H2

Bios 6.12

Any ideas please..to save my home school!!

Many Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
is this a new update in addition to the version in place ..
Or is it the very last 20 h2 you mention?
It may not change my answer much, but:
The very last version brings some problem, with some computers, besides it is not yet proposed for mine which is not so old ..
If you have problems each time, you should be able to refuse the installation of this latest version, so stay in version 2004 or earlier!
As for a simple update, if that hasn't changed you can temporarily disable it at least try that
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/manage-updates-in-windows-10-643e9ea7-3cf6-7da6-a25c-95d...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response,

Unfortunately it was doing it on the previous release also before 20H2. I thought putting it to latest would sort it.

I’ve read on another post that devices plugged into USB ports may be causing an issue on restart after update.

Sounds a bit extreme to unplug all USB devices before restart but worth a try!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.