Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavillion 24 all in one desktop won't shutdown

hp pavillion 24 all in one desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

the computer shutsdown to the point where the screen is black but the power never goes off.  the fan is still running and the only way to shut it down for the night is a hard stop by pressing the power button for a few seconds.

i'm a computer tech and finally had about 6 hours to work on this tonight and no luck.  i tried all suggestions in hp forums, i used the hp virtual assisstant.  of course i used google to find others who had the same problem.  it seemed no on had a solution.

i tried unplugging everything, etc, etc.....made all recommended changes on the desktop, rebooted countless times, and nothing worked.  the problem has been going on for about 10 days now but unfortunately my system restore only goes back 3 days.  going through all my apps and services and programs installed i can seem to think of one that would cause this issued all of the sudden.  so i'm looking for help (if there even is a fix for this since i think i've exhausted all options that may be suggested to me but i'm willing to listen).

has anyone known of any recent app updates that may have caused this?  is there any way to roll back HP updates to previous versions.  one thing that seemed to work for several people was installing HP's recommended version of the IMEI driver.  so i went to the hp driver page and put in all my desktop information so that the right set of drivers were recommended but that didn't work either.  i downloaded the IMEI driver for my hp model and when i went to install it, the message was that my PC wasn't supported and the installation had to stop.  that was weird since it's recommended by hp based on my pavillion model and OS - WIN 10 64bit.

any help is appreciated.  thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Did you try, as a temporary fix, something like this...

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/create-a-shutdown-shortcut-on-windows-10-desktop.html

OR

Creating a desktop shortcut for Shutdown, Restart, Log-off om Windows 10 Desktop

Please use right click on the Windows 10 desktop and select New, Shortcut enter the location:

for shutdown:  %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0  
for log-out :  %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /l /t 0  
for restart:  %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 0  
lock the computer: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes, i did try this and it wasn't successful.  thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

and the /f parameter failed to work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes, that's correct.  the system shuts down to the point of the monitor being off, but the power never goes off.  the fan continues to run (i can hear it), and the power button remains lit up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Is it set to shutdown or go into suspension?

PWR and LID.png

If Fast Start-up is selected then it doesn't shut down, only suspends, so untick the box and force a shutdown.

Then hope that whatever is not getting written back to disk now does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I always had it set to shutdown, and fast startup was deselected. And then i tried the forced shutdown but no luck.

This problem only started (out of the blue) about 7 to 10 days ago. I don't recall installing anything new at that time that may have started causing this . The all in one desktop (it's not a laptop) was purchased about 15 months ago.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I sympathise, my laptop has played up this week, taking forever to shutdown, Control Panel hanging, WiFi weird and on my Acer it went thru an update process.

So I forced an update on this HP, and stability has returned, and I don't know why or where it went.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your suggestions anyway.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation