Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion P6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

From Win 10 I decided to boot into the bios. 

While running a bios diagnostic I powered down the PC.

Now the PC is stuck @ the HP logo on Power up showing "Press the Esc key for startup menu"

The Esc key does nothing.

If I power up holding F10 then an info screen appears with "Setup" in the lower right corner - and

"Press the Esc key for Startup menu"

again the Esc key does nothing.

Any ideas on how to resolve this.

The PC was working fine prior to this.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bcelestia 

Let's make sure I understand what you did -- you intentionally powered down a PC in the middle of a BIOS update?

IF this is true -- then you've basically turned your PC into an "electric brick"!

You would have to get the BIOS replaced, and from what little I can tell from HP policy changes, I think they now require you to pay for replacing the motherboard.  But, you would do best to check with HP Customer Support to confirm that.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood

Thanks for the prompt response

I was not doing a bios update.

I was intent on troubleshooting why a GTX 1050TI (PCI Express 3.0) failed to work on the PC. - The PC  is PCI Express 2.0 I believe. I've also tried a GTX745 with no success either. I thought that a bios setting might enable the cards to work OK.

I have a Radeon HD 6670 (PCI Express 2.0) which works OK.

From Windows 10 I enabled a boot into Bios (normally in windows 10 you cannot get into the bios on power on)

When I powered on the PC I pressed the F2 key ( I should have pressed the F10 key I think) and a Bios diagnostic appeared to start which I grew impatient with and powered off.

When I powered on again the PC was stuck on the HP Logo screen. I've tried various solutions mentioned on the forum with no success so far.

I have previously replaced the HDD with an SSD and installed Win 10 on it. The PC has been working OK for several months.

HP Recommended

@bcelestia 

Sorry, I misunderstood -- but merely shutting down during a diag check should have no negative affect after that.

I've not run into this myself, so I don't know what to advise ...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.