Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My desktop model HP Prodesk 400 G3, it won't allow keyboard, mouse function when I load WIN 7 Pro image on it via USB.  I have been thru several BIOS options and tried different things to get working.  Of course I already plugged in to USB 2.0 slots. I can boot into install Windows but once the setup runs and prompts for first logon, the keyboard and mouse stop working again.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi que10

I can't find any info on what processor your PC has.

I can tell you if you have an Intel Skylake or Kabylake processor you need to add USB 3.0 drivers to the Windows 7 Installation media.

Intel provides a utility and instructions on how to add USB 3.0 support to Windows 7 installation media. You would then attach the keyboard and mouse to USB 3.0 ports when doing the Windows 7 installation.

HP Support provides additional information on Windows 7 and Windows 10 at this link.

GRzy

HP Recommended

Hi 

HP Recommended

Hi que10

You are welcome.

What specific version i5 do you have? Is it an Intel 6th gen (Skylake) or 7th gen (Kabylake) CPU?

You have to modify the Windows 7 install media per above reply to your question and connect keyboard and mouse to USB 3.0 ports.

Skylake and Kabylake chipsets don't include USB 2.0 support. Windows 7 setup needs USB 2.0 support.

The intel fix in above link adds USB 3.0 drivers to Windows 7 installation media so you can use your mouse and keyboard on USB 3.0 ports.

Microsoft has deprecated Windows Update if you have an Intel 7th gen (Kabylake) CPU. You will not be able to download any updates from Microsoft. Microsoft is still supporting updates for Skylake processors.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.