Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Setup Password (BIOS) vs Power-On Password WMI Namespace flagging issue

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a question in regards to the HP Setup Password (BIOS) vs Power-On Password and how it's flagged in the WMI Namespace

I have a customer environment of multiple HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT running BIOS Version L01 v2.18 Windows 7 64-Bit with a Setup Password set. There is no Power-On Password set for any of these machines.  Even with there being no Power-On Password set on any of these machines, a query of the following WMI Namespace for these machines:

root/hp/instrumentedBIOS/HP_BIOSPassword

returns an IsSet value of 1 for Setup Password AND Power-On Password indicating that this value is set and activated for both.

Again I do not have Power-On passwords set for any of the environment, and none of these machines are prompting customers for a Power-On password during boot up. Systems boot right up to the operating system.

My question: Is there a reason for this false positive? does setting a Setup Password also flag the IsSet value for Power-On Password whether you set one or not? It presents a challenge when auditing our systems to ensure accuracy

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation