Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was prompted to update the bios by the HP Support Assistant yesterday. It went through the process of updating the bios. I cam back an hour later and the computer was stuck on the loading screen showing "hp" in the white circle. I hit escape key, it showed processor/memory satistics and had hit esc to go to startup menu at the bottom of the screen. I waited 10 minutes nothing happens. I hit esc key and nothing happens. I don't know what to do to get the computer to boot, any assistance would greatly be appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@mmazurjr

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

To recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your PC:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

Let me know how that pans out. 🙂

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did exactly what you suggested and it did not work. I then disconnected the hard drive (SSD) and attached original hard drive and system would boot. Apparently the BIOS update did something that is preventing the SSD drive from being recognized by the BIOS, any suggestions? THanks

HP Recommended

@mmazurjr

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Yes, you'll have to remove all the external devices. 🙂

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I removed all external devices. It recognizes the old hard drive (non SSD) when I attach it and will boot to windows. When I have the SSD attached ( SSD is a samsung EVO 500gig), which has been working for months up until the attempted BIOS update, the system freezes at a screen that provides system info and bios info and option at bottom of screen to hit "Esc" to access startup menu. No matter what I do, it appears as if the SSD drive is no longer visible to boot from. What can I do to get the system to recognize the SSD again? I have attempted to recover old bios, got back to 12/17 version and SSD is still not recognized. I updated to 1/18 version and samething?  Any assistance would greatly be apprecaited. 

HP Recommended

As a point of clarification, the SSD is not an external drive. I replaced the original drive with a samsung SSD drive, which is now the primary hard drive for the computer. After the bios update, it appears that this ssd drive is no longer recognized during the boot up process. The system hangs after showing computer stats including processor, memory and bios info. At the bottom of the screen is the option ot hit escape to access startup menu. When you press escape, in the right hand corner Setup menu appears but the screen does not change and it hangs. I have tried to recover the bios, same situation, I have used a bios recovery usb and attempted to update the bios from 12/17 version to 1/18 version but it will not update. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. 

HP Recommended

@mmazurjr,

Ireveiewed the post. Thanks for the update. You've displayed immaculate attitude and terrific troubleshooting expertise to try and figure out a way to resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 As @ Barachiel is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

Did the original Bios detect the SSD?

Please try to restore the bios to its previous version. Check on the HP support site if a previous version of the bios is avaiable, the same version as the one that was originally installed. Please cehck this document: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833 

Although it is for a notebook, the steps are valid for a dekstop also.

So try the keyboard combinations and the USB method as well.

If it still does not work, Pelase contact HP phone support for assistance in real time as they may have mutliple options to assist you including servicing the computer.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: 

1. Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  2. 2) Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. 3) Enter the serial of your device.
  4. 4) Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. 5) Click on “Show Options”.

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.