Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z1 Entry Tower G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

since this morning my HP Z1 G5 desktop will not start. Under normal usage, I am leaving the PC to get to sleep, and wake it up with mouse or keyboard (pretty much never switch it off). This morning, the PC gets stuck at HP Sure Start Recovery screen. What happens is the following:

1) Start the PC.

2) Not pressing any button, PC beeps loudly once and then the following message is displayed:

HP Sure Start Recovery
HP Sure Start detected an unauthorized change to the Secure Boot Keys.

The keys were restored automatically and there is no further action required.

The repeated occurrence of this problem indicates a security problem that should not be ignored.

20220818_012702.jpg

There are two buttons on the screen, blue "OK" and grey "Esc".

3) Regardless of which button is pressed, the PC screen changes to HP logo and "Protected by HP Sure Start" text, then switches off after cca 5s.

4) After another cca 5s, the PC turns back on and everything starts from point 2 again.

The way how to get out of the cycle is to switch off using the front PC button, then it does not turn back on on its own, but does not get anywhere either.

What I have tried is to follow the advice for similar cases described, but I can't get anywhere, including entering the BIOS to switch Sure Start off. When I press the Esc button repeatedly during startup, I do not get to white screen described in step 2 (because probably the Esc button fires it off) and during what is described in Step 3, left bottom part of the screen shows "Entering Startup Menu..." message. This is the only change, it never gets there and again, switches off, then resets itself.

Pressing F10 does not do anything.

Pressing Esc + F2 does not do anything.

Pressing Win + V or Win + B does not do anything either.

I didn't restart the PC for about three days before this happens, was able to wake it up from sleep at least dozen times during that period of time. I didn't install anything on the PC during my last online session (just created and saved a short Word document).

How do I get the PC to boot up? 

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue on my HP EliteBook 840 G7.

HP Recommended

@Dodoroq, have you been able to find a solution to this issue?

HP Recommended

Dual Boot Windows System

If you have multiple versions of Windows installed on your computer, wait for the OS selection screen to appear. When given the choice, instead of selecting Windows 10, choose Change defaults or choose other options. Then follow the steps in the method to access safe mode.

Manually Access Safe Mode In some cases, you'll be able to access safe mode from within Windows 10

.This will be possible if the reboot loop is triggered on the launch of a specific app or hardware connected. Before the reboot is triggered, you have three options to reboot Windows 10 in safe mode: Hold Shift then Start > Restart to boot Windows 10 into Advanced startup options. You might also open Settings (press Windows Key + I) then Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Restart now. In an elevated Command Prompt (input cmd in the Start menu search bar, then right-click and select Run as administrator). Enter shutdown /r /o to reboot the computer into the Advanced Boot options.

Regards,
John

HP Recommended

Hi @Johnharper241, thanks for the reply.  The problem is that I cannot boot into Windows at all because of the boot loop.  Additionally, when I try to enter the BIOS setup, before the page loads, the computer restarts again.  I am truly at a loss.

HP Recommended

Tried inserting a brand-new empty SSD, but remains the same

HP Recommended

Any luck finding a resolution? I have two devices doing this same thing.

HP Recommended

The official services offered mainboard change. I have found an engineer who going to play around, but no guarantee of success.

HP Recommended

This is unbelievable... My user with HP Elitebook 840 G5 has this issue. I have not seen any success story. I took out the SSD drive chip and tried to reboot hoping the bios would say no hard drive found  and I would go into BIOS set up, but the same error screen showed up. Tried to Restore BIOS from usb drive, but the setup program did not work. the instruction video shows it would show an option to install the restoration program on USB drive, but after I clicked ACCEPT to go to next step in terms and condition screen, nothing happens. The screen is gone. Tried in couple of computers, and same. I am planning to create a USD drive program from a home computer. Maybe at the office, the work computer does not have sufficient admin right or something... not sure..

Anyway, I cannot believe how many people have had this issue, yet no solution... Does this mean all affected customers bought new computers? My support called HP support yesterday, and HOP told them to send the computer to get a quote, but they would not say how much to repair. So we decided to replace this HP machine since it's about 4 years, and I ordered a Dell laptop.

But I want to fix this HP. It's old, but it is a good machine, I know.

Hope to hear some updates from the communities and users about this and their solutions. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

I agree with you, @Eatmanna.  Thanks for your update.  I still have not seen a solution either, so I had to break down and get another laptop as mine was out of warranty.  I've never seen such a widespread issue that essentially bricks the computer.  This is the stuff class action lawsuits are made out of.  Hopefully a straightforward solution can be found... I would still like to revive the bricked laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.