Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Linux

Hi helpers,

I bought a refurbished HP Z600 workstation, and a refurbished HP T750 G2 UPS. The Z600 has both sockets populated with Xeon X5670 processors, and with 96GB ECC RAM. The O/S is Kubuntu Linux version 18.04 LTS.

Both the Z600 and T750 appear to work perfectly well, except for one thing: When the Z600 restarts with the T750 connected over USB, the BIOS response speed drops dramatically, and so does the GRUB bootloader, but only until the O/S begins to take over. Once in the O/S, everything runs as fast as usual.

I am considering a BIOS upgrade to see if that will solve or improve the BIOS boot speed problem. Has anyone else observed similar, where a USB device causes BIOS to boot very slowly? Will a BIOS upgrade provide a solution, from your experience?

Pete.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Final solution: With a generic USB to RS232 cable, I am able to avoid the slow BIOS at boot time, and benefit from comms with the T750.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Minor update: The slow BIOS is avoided if a USB hub is inserted between the T750 and the Z600. Not yet sure if the hub will interfere when the Z600 is in suspend, and the T750 attempts to alert the Z600 for it to wake from suspend and perform an orderly shutdown and power-off.

HP Recommended

Final solution: With a generic USB to RS232 cable, I am able to avoid the slow BIOS at boot time, and benefit from comms with the T750.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.