Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 520-1030
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For the last few days, I have been desperately trying to figure out how to reset the "Power-On" password on an HP Touchsmart 520-1030. The operating system is Windows 7 (64-bit) and the BIOS says "Revision 7.12", if that's relevant.

A friend purchased the computer from someone he knows and asked me if I could "reset" it for him. I blindly offered my assistance, thinking I just needed to get into his Windows account. I was unaware that it was a BIOS-level lockout and now I am kind of stumped.

Note that all of this is occurring before the OS is initialized and the only thing that comes up before the "Power-On Password" screen is an HP splash screen and this:

img4.jpg

What I have tried:

1. Removing the CMOS battery (for about 24 hours)
    1. Attempting to clear CMOS (see first image below)
    2. With CMOS Battery INSERTED
      • Switched "CMOS-PW" (top and bottom blue) jumpers from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2 while powered off
      • Switched "CMOS-PW" (top and bottom blue) jumper back to pins 2-3 while powered off
      • Powered computer back on
    3. With CMOS Battery REMOVED
      • Switched "CMOS-PW" (top and bottom blue) jumpers from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2 while powered off
      • Switched "CMOS-PW" (top and bottom blue) jumpers back to pins 2-3 while powered off
      • Powered computer back on
    4. Practically every other combination of switching jumpers, powering on, powering off, and removing the battery

img3.jpg

What I would like to try and can't quire figure out how:

1. Flash the BIOS to try and wipe any trace of this ridiculous password (see next image below)
    • I have found several support videos/documents/articles/posts about how to "upgrade" bios on HP computers - primarily laptops, but I can't seem to find a legitimate BIOS flash utility or other method with which to wipe the BIOS on this Touchsmart computer
    • I feel that this would be the next best solution, so any help with how to specifically do this for a Touchsmart 520 would be appreciated

Here is an image of what the window looks like - in case it helps to get a visual:

img2.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I am having the very same issue. My sister has moved away and has given me this PC to hold for her until she comes back after 1yr. I have been an IT Pro for 15yrs and i have done the same exact BIOS password reset for most IBM-PC Compatible machines. I followed exactly what you did and now the date changed from 2018  back to 2010 with no ability to get into the BIOS at all. No PW was ever set on this machine ....but all of a sudden this shows up.  After doing all the work....now Keyboard wont type anything when trying to input the password 3 times to see what would happen if the system would throw a code after failed attempts. 

I really dont like Proprietary systems due to they always find a way to make things not work so you can deal with them ...only to tell you that system is outta warranty or what not and how much you need to spend to get it fixed when they know the problem exist.  Hope there is a fix somewhere

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.