Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Z800.  Duel X5670.  Trying to install HyperX M2 Pcie drive, with the carrier.  Can't get the computer to boot windows after it goes thru the blue screens, it resets and starts over.  The drive shows up on the boot order screen.   I have it installed into slot 4, and compute is enabled.   Storage controller is 9.6.0.1014.   Bios 786G5 v03.57.  Boot block date 11/10/09

Both the vendor and Kingston says they don't support this, as it is too old.   "these older mother boards ---"

I've read that others have been succesful.  

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Missed your question the first time around.

I've posted in here about how to get the Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 SSD attached to its PCIe card installed and running in the Z400 and Z600 workstations.  Same works in the Z800 workstation.  You need to use the correct Storage Driver version I posted about, and you need to change your PCIe slot setting in BIOS.

Those slots all are supposed to be set with Option ROM Download enabled and Compute disabled.  Don't change that from these defaults.  If you or someone before you set slot 4 with Compute to enable then change that back to disable.

"Compute" is not what you think it is...... another topic.

We have multiple ZX00 workstations booting and running from the Kingston Predator M.2 PCIe card hardware.  Rock solid once you know how to do it.

HP Recommended
Added info..... you can leave it in slot 4, but I'd move it up to slot 1 in the Z800. The card needs to be in a PCIe generation 2 slot (slot 3 and slot 7 in a Z800 are PCIe generation 1 slots). The maximum number of electrical lanes the Predator can use is 4, and slot 1 allows for that. Slot 4 will work fine but it has x1, x4, and x8 electrical lanes available to it so you might like to keep that available for a second video card or for other higher purposes. BIOS currently is 3.60, and you should update to that if you have not already. One of my posts here on how to get the Kingston Predator M.2 PCIe card running in the ZX00 HP workstations is here, https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/M-2-PCIe-SSD-in-xw... and that involves initial clean install on a SSD, and then changing the storage drivers to the correct type, and then Acronis clone of an image from that SSD install over onto the Predator. You also could do a clean install directly onto the Predator if you know how to inject the same storage drivers during the early phase of installing from scratch.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.