Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have an HP Z820 workstation.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I put the pc to sleep it is impossible to wake it up again. 

The usb ports that my mouse and keyboard are connected to are powered down when the pc is asleep and so I cannot use them to wake the pc up. The only thing I can do with the pc in this situation is to press the power button which performs a full reboot. 

I have updated to the latest BIOS and Windows updates.

I have set all ''all allow pc to turn off device to save power' to off for all USB hubs in device manager

I have set all keyboard and mouse inputs to  "allow this device to wake the computer"

There is no BIOS setting to allow power to USB ports when the system is in sleep mode.

If I could use the power button to just wake the pc up that would be satisfactory to me.

Please help, surely this workstation can be woke up once put in sleep mode. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi Aaron,

Please make sure that your keyboard and mouse are plugged into the USB2 ports, NOT the blue USB3 ports. There is a section in the HP Z820 Maintenance and Service Guide regarding hibernate and sleep modes that may help;

Sleep mode.JPG

It would be a good idea to bookmark the official HP Z820 support site - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-z820-workstation/5225041 You will find a copy of the Maintenance and Service Guide in the Manuals section as well as lots of other handy resources for the Z820. (The Maintenance and Service Guide  has quite a detailed section on BIOS settings.)

If you don't have them, then I would recommend you download and install these as well;

HP Performance Advisor

HP Support Assistant

Both are free and are handy for diagnosing and optimising your workstations performance.

I don't use the hibernate or the sleep mode features on my HP Z620, so I can't speak from personal experience, just trying to help.

FYI - Please note, (if your not already familiar), that this forum is not an official HP technical support site. It is a community of HP owners and a scattering of HP employees, (who can't/don't speak on HP's behalf). If another forum member has experienced a similiar issue then they are usually quite quick to respond to a post. Unforunately, the opposite can also happen. 

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

I did note that once in sleep mode, you need to press the power button once to go into standby, then press it a second time to wake up. By "press", I assume HP mean a quick 1 second press (or less), not press and hold.

Just a thought, the system may wake from the keyboard after pressing the power button once, i.e. switching to standby?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Hi

Firstly, many thanks for your help on this matter. It is really appreciated.

I have tried having the keyboard and mouse plugged into the usb 2 ports (the black ones) on the front and back of the workstation with the same results.

With regard to the operation of the power button, I can set it to put the pc to sleep when I press it, but then another press of it reboots the pc as before (as the pc is then in sleep mode). I am momentarily pressing the power button when trying to wake the pc back up again, as your comment rightly said that a quick press is often used as a 'wake up' I have a laptop and other hp z240 that operates in this way.

I am beginning to think that this maybe a motherboard limitation (or issue with my particular motherboard). I have only had the pc a few weeks and have added a nVidia Quadro K5000 graphics card and another PCI card, I don't know if either of these would affect the sleep operation of the motherboard.

Thanks again for your help, the links you provided are very useful.  

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure that the new GPU isn't causing this issue, but you did mention one other PCI card. What type of card is it?, e.g. RAID, USB, Wi-Fi, etc.

I know it's a long shot, but what about he BIOS setting I've highlighted below;

Z820 sleep.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi

The other card is a Vector CANXL card. Its a Can bus to PCI card supplied by Vector Gmbh. 

I can't seem to see the bios setting in the image that you posted, perhaps it didn't upload properly.

Another long shot is that I have 2 hard drives in the normal slots and an SSD in the front tray with the OS on, since the hardware on the motherboard would deal with a wake up request from the switch on the front panel, I am wondering if the interrupt is being generated on the wrong hard drive (not the SSD).  The PC is definitely in a sleep state when put to sleep as the front light pulses every 8s ish.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Sorry - double posted.

HP Recommended

Sometimes it can take a while for the moderators to approve images in the forum - check back again and it should appear.

I don't believe the other PCI card is causing the issue either, but the only way you would know for certain would be to test the sleep mode function with the card removed. Where is the SSD plugged into exactly? - It may well be the issue.

HP Recommended

I tried the BIOS settings in the image with no difference.

The SSD is plugged into one of the SATA ports on the bottom of the motherboard.

Strangely enough if I set the SSD to be the first Hard Drive in the boot order the pc will not boot, ie goes to network boot etc then invalid system disk. If the SSD is not first in the Hard Drive boot order it will boot to windows ok. Very strange indeed.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I have just noticed that the System Reserved partition is on a different drive to the OS (SSD) this would explain why it will not boot when the SSD is set to first. However, I'm not sure if this would affect the sleep behaviour.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.