Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

"I have an HP Z820 with 32GB of RAM and two Intel Xeon E5-2687W CPUs running Windows 7 64-bit. The system had been in storage for the past several months while we were renovating our office. The system was working fine before being packed away. The storage was heated and cooled, so the system has not been subjected to any extreme temperatures. I set the system up tonight but it will not boot. It powers up, but there are no beeps, nothing ever shows up on screen (no splash screen, no messages), the USB keyboard and mouse never show any indication that they are connecting, and eventually the fans just spool up very loudly and remain in that state until I finally shut the system off after several minutes of waiting.

I have checked to make sure that everything is seated properly (in other words, the hard drive is fully seated, the graphics board hasn't been partially dislodged, etc.). Everything appears to be correct. With the system running, I can eject the DVD drive tray, but that's about it."

I have pretty much this exact same problem as this archived topic. No solution was offered in that topic either that I could see. I've pretty much stripped down everything, removed almost all the parts and no change. I've reset the CMOS, changed the battery, resat the CPUs, removed the cards that are not needed. Removed most of the sticks of RAM and left just a couple in.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

> I've pretty much stripped down everything, removed almost all the parts and no change.

> I've reset the CMOS, changed the battery, reseated the CPUs, removed the cards that are not needed.

> Removed most of the sticks of RAM and left just a couple in.

Typically, a computer "beeps" exactly once after the POST (Power On Self Test) completes successfully.

Also typically, at power-on, the fan(s) run at 100% of their speed, producing the most noise.

When the POST completes successfully, the motherboard will measure the temperature of the motherboard and of the processor, and then tell the fan(s) to slow-down, and make much less noise, when the temperatures are "normal".

My guess: failed motherboard -- which you have not yet tried to replace.  Correct?

HP Recommended

No I have not changed the mainboard. 

That's a job for HP...

I've tried disaster recovery from BIOS on a USB stick. It boots to the point of starting to flash the BIOS but remains at 0%

HP Recommended

@MichaelC88@  wrote:

No I have not changed the mainboard.  That's a job for HP...

I've tried disaster recovery from BIOS on a USB stick.

It boots to the point of starting to flash the BIOS but remains at 0%

Since you have tried all the "easy" fixes (stripping-down the computer, removing RAM, et cetera), it seems like your only option is to replace the motherboard, or to replace the entire computer.

How old is the computer?

Before it went into "storage", was it powered-on 24/7 ?

If so, the ongoing heat may gradually have warped the motherboard, such that a long period of "cooling" has affected the motherboard.

HP Recommended
Mine never went into storage, I copied a topic that was archived.

I'm pretty sure it needs a new mainboard.

It was on quite a lot but not all the time.

HP are coming to repair Weds anyway. Thanks all.
HP Recommended

> HP are coming to repair Weds anyway. Thanks all.

It is good to know that HP really supports their computers, but unfortunate that you did not tell us, earlier, that HP was scheduled to solve your problem, without our assistance.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.