Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I reinstalled the OEM 2TB slow is you know what drive on my HP 510-p024 to at least be able to use this machine while we wait for a BIOS update to allow use of SSD drives again. Still no news from HP.  My ticket with HP got closed out without a resolution. three weeks now for me. proably a lot longer for others.  no new BIOS posted, can't downgrade the exsisting BIOS either.  I am SOL, but at least I am not alone.  Hoping for a class action lawsuit now.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@ewilson248

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@ewilson248

What is the make and model of the SSD that you are trying to use?

Don't try a m.2 SSD in the m.2 slot as it's not going to work.

Update the diagnostics on your PC and run a full set to make sure that you PC is stable. HP Hardware Diagnostics If the diagnostics run clean then install the new SSD and run the diagnostics again. If still no joy, then try the below BIOS update. Post your results to both diagnostic tests.

Try the BIOS update for motherboard SSID 81B4. It's for the Hamar motherboard which is in your PC.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

How ironic that you point me to the BIOS update version (V.34) that actually CAUSED the problem.

The PC was working 100% fine until the HP update tool reccomended the BIOS update which I was stupid enough to instal.

I have tried multiple SATA III SSDs both brand new and used from Crucial and Samsung.

The PC will not complete a POST with ANY SSD connected via SATA.

The drives operate fine on other machines.

I was contacted by HP Escalations yesterday but I have serious doubts anything will be done. The response from HP has been horrible to this point, I have no reason to think it will change now. 

The BIOS / SSD issue is present across random / multiple HP platfoms and possibly even occurs on brand new HP PCs right out of the box (but that is unconfirmed). Do some searching here in the forums you will see others are dealing with the same issue.

downgrading back to the old BIOS is blocked by HP , hence not available.  

I will not be wasting any more time on this until I get a new BIOS file from HP or a workaround to downgrade to an older BIOS that allows SSD usage.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The BIOS update is F.34 not V.34.

I'll ask HP to assist you again.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Here is the Official response from HP.

I did want to let you know at this point HP inc is not required to fix or resolve this issue caused by our BIOS update. Because of the Third Party SSD Harddrive our bios updates may not be compatible with other companies hardware.  This complaint was elevated to our internal Technicians and determined because of the 3rd party hardware we could not resolve this issue from a technical stand point. If you have any concerns in this matter feel free to give me a call and we can discuss this further.

Bottom line, anyone who installed an SSD is screwed. case closed. HP does not care and does not want you as a customer.

HP Recommended

Very sneaky

HP Recommended

A guess: have you tried adding-in a SATA-interface PCI-E card, and connecting your SSD to that port, instead of to the motherboard's SATA port?

Example: Startech 1x eSATA + 1x SATA 6Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card - Storage controller (RAID) - SATA 6Gb/s / eSATA 6Gb/s low profile - 600 MBps - RAID 0, 1, JBOD - PCIe 2.0 x1

supports SATA III -- maximum speed for your SSD.

HP Recommended

great idea!  I will give this a shot and report back.

HP Recommended

mdklassen had an idea for a workaround by adding a PCI Express SATA controller card then connecting the SSD to that board instead.

I am very happy to report this WORKS!

The short version is the SSD is taking a different path on the motherboard now. The PCIe board is acting as an intermediary. I find it ironic that this works as they specifically mention that they are NOT required to support 3rd party hardware.

So here you go: 

1. If your BIOS has secure boot disable that.

2. In the BIOS make sure the ability to use LEGACY devices is on and enabled

3. You can leave UEFI support on.

this is the board I used : 

SYBA SY-PEX40039 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card

Cost me $15 on newegg.

so there you have it.  give it a try and post your results.

If it works and you know of others having the same issue spread the word

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.