Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc5100 and other (dc6100, nx...), bios update sp33315

Hello,

I have problem with the BIOS udpate to the 1.10a version for the old dc5100 HP PC.

I would like to use the pc and to update the processor to the Pentium 4 631 (or 661).

For that purpose, I need to update bios to the 1.10a, but the update seams to do nothing.

I have used bios 1.08 and 1.09, and I tryed to update to 1.10a. It seams as working (no error report), but the bios stayed as it is - no bios number change and the new processor still dos not work.

sp33315.exe - update1.10a - Updates Intel Pentium 4 Processor microcode for F34, F41, F43, F49, F4A, F64, and F65 steppings.

It seams that the update is not working even according other forums. Nobody was able to use the update. (Thay just have used different and usually last bios versions but for the dc5100 is this the last version 😞 )

Is it possible to repair this bios update?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

There isn't anything wrong with the Microcode update you referenced.

The only way to install it is to create a bootable floppy disk by running the file, and I believe you have to be running Windows 2000 or XP to create the bootable floppy disk.

The floppy disk creation process is automatic.

So, get a USB floppy disk drive if your PC doesn't have one, and run the file.

Then you boot from the floppy disk, run the microcode update by following the on screen instructions.

I had to do the same thing with my d530 and dc7100 to update the microcode.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Dos the update change the number of bios version in starter BIOS after boot?

I did a bootable disk, I runed it from many medias FDD, usb and even CD  - I booted DOS and runed update ... even from fdd it dos not work for my PC) ...

Everithing seams as it gos well, but I still see bios version remain 1.09 or 1.08 (after update to 1.10a in bios = F10 after boot), no change to 1.10a, and my processor dos not work 😞 - the PC dos not recongice processor microcode.

(update to from 1.07 to 1.08 OK, 1.08 to 1.09 OK, 1.09 to 1.08 OK // but 1.08 to 1.10 dont work, 1.09 to 1.10 dont work to)

same probleme 2x there:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/dc5100-update-bios-1-10a/td-p/3373727

... and I found same problem for dc6100 and some others ...

It seams, as the fix can not change my bios.... but there is no error report.

HP Recommended

And did you do that from 1.08 or 1.09 ?

What processor are you used?

I really do not understend why it dont work.

But, may be, there is something else wrong ... becouse I have found, that the 1.08:

Adds support for Intel Pentium 4 631, 641, 651, 661 Processors.

... And I am Trying to use Pentium 4 631 SL9KG processor, and the BIOS postes me an error with this processor installed. - but this soud be uic 0F65h

HP Recommended

OK, so you did create the bootable floppy disk.

On one of my d530's I had to keep runnning the update several times before it finally updated.

One one, I think it never updated no matter what I tried.

Many years ago, there used to be a HP business PC support forum and thousands of useful posts were deleted when they merged the forum to this one.  They picked a cutoff date for posts to be moved to this forum.

From what I recall, some folks said that the microcode update won't work if you have the latest BIOS installed.

I don't know why that would be.

The microcode update is usually a different version number than the BIOS update.

When I did mine, it showed the old microcode version and asked me if I wanted to update, and so I did.

I do not have your model PC.  As I wrote earlier, I did it on the d530.

But I used the same file as you did on the dc7100 and it worked just fine.

But even after successfully updating the microcode in the dc7100, it still would report a microcode error on any of the pentium 4 processors ending in a 1.

HP Recommended

So you did not now, if it really work - do you ? ...  😞  (change of bios ID in Pc?)

And I have found one stranche behavior, becouse the updater is displaying me, that my PC have 1.09 bios, even if I did a change back to 1.08.

I tryed again the 1.08 - no proceser support for P4 631 😞

And I have to preamble, that the updater dos not work well :(.

HP Recommended

If some one ware able to update to 1.10a .. coudl you please share the 1.10a bios copy?

HP Recommended

I did that microcode update on my dc7100 so many years ago ago, I forgot what the BIOS screen said the BIOS version was.

All I know is that it updated the factory original microcode to 1.10, and even so, a processor such as the P4 651, 661 would not work.

I settled on the P4 650 because it was 64 bit capable, and was the same wattage as the lesser processors.

The P4 660 jumped up the wattage, and the heat was too much.

I ran my dc7100, P4-650, 4 GB memory with W7 Pro 64 bit for several years, and then gave it away.

I can say one thing for sure...HP is not going to do anything about the sp33315 file.

They wouldn't even fix the BIOS update for the dc7700 which caused the Wolfdale E7xxx processors to run at half their FSB speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.