2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP desktop beeps+stuck on "press escape key"

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion h8-1210ef – B2L34EA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

After installing a new CG (Zotac gtx geforce 1060 amp edition), I have an issue and my computer is stuck on "Press escape key to continue".

When booting the comp, it does one beep, then a pause (several seconds), then another beep, and right after 3 very short beeps.

It *does not* use the LED blinking feature that's in post-2010 hp/compaq computers.

Just to make sure, I tried to remove the RAM, and that did signal the error via those LEDs (I removed both and put both back in to reset).

I tried to reset my CMOS (https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/145791078631604224/390235590031048736/image.png – I swapped the top left and put it on the bottom left) but it didn't help. The computed was completly unplugged while I did that.

When I do press escape or f2 like it asks me too, it shows a screen with:

- cpu

- cpu speed

- cache lane sizes

- memory size

- channel a

- channel b

- bios revision (v7.13 01/05/2012)

but no gpu is listed.

I check the PSU, it says it delivers at most 415w. I used to have a gtx 770, which has a tdp of 230w (as I've read, 28 nm fab process).

The 1060 has a tdp of 120w, so it shouldn't be an issue (16nm fab process)...

I've also read that the backwards compat on PCIe slots was broken around Gen 2.1, but the IPISB-CH2 has PCIE x16 2.0 slots, which is forward compatible with 3.0, cf ttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306766-30-figure-pcie-version .

It's hard to find infos on the IPISB-CH2 chicago in general...

I've seen someone say that v7 BIOSes (7.13 here) cannot support such graphics cards because it requires a full UEFI BIOS, but my BIOS is obviously UEFI since it has (from the docs) secure boot.

Is it not a complete UEFI implementation?

It seems wrong, since the wiki says that all mobos are UEFI-enabled since Sandy Bridge... And I have a i5-2320 which is Sandy Bridge.. but the esc/f2 page still says "bios revision/date: v7.13 01/05/2012", and I can't find a place where I could find firmware upgrades in the IPISB-CH2 page. Any help?

Are my GC and mobo incompatible? Are there firmware bugs or incompatibilities?

Would appreciate some help,

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> When booting the comp, it does one beep, then a pause (several seconds), then another beep, and right after 3 very short beeps.

From: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922  HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - BIOS Beep Codes

3 short beeps and 1 long beep -->> CPU configuration error, or CPU type is not compatible.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

That can't be the issue for several reasons:

- The beep you posted do not correspond to the beep my machine emits.

- My computer is post-2010, so the docs aren't for my model.

- If the CPU didn't work, I wouldn't even get to that screen.

- If I put back my gtx 770, the computer works fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The beep you posted do not correspond to the beep my machine emits.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/you-can-lead-a-horse-to-water.html

I cited a URL that lists many "beep-codes", not just the one that tried to match your terse description.

Please reread the entire document, to try to find a better match to your symptoms.

Or, search within this forum for "beep codes", to see if other people have reported similar symptoms, and have received useful responses.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation