Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
500-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This post is to help others avoid what I had to go through for the past 3 weeks. I think it's DISGUSTING that HP have ZERO support on this matter, so I hope this saves someone's day.

All credit goes to everyone involved on this thread; https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Possible-bios-recovery-problem/td-p/5208527...

After a BSOD after I played around with my USB Windows to Go (Windows 10), my HP 500-023w failed to even boot up into BIOS. Just a blank screen but with fans and disks spinning.

I replaced the RAM, CMOS battery, and PSU (having trawled through HUNDREDS of forum posts), but still no luck. I managed to get my computer to boot, but it took ages, and it was a hit and miss (sometimes booted, sometimes didn't).

Long story short (3 weeks of trial and error), I flashed my BIOS to the latest version, which helpfully, is NOT on the HP support website (bunch of useless toads), and everything works again. I'm RMA'ing all bought components at a restocking price.

The fact that the BIOS update on the HP site is an old update that fails your BIOS, and the fact that you have to search their FTP to get the latest version, is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. If you have a 2ADA MOBO that "failed", I would recommend you update to v8.2 before you splash out on any components. Worse still, before you reach out to HP support, who will ask irrelevant questions and generally be useless in not answering any of them.

Never buying an HP again.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JohnnyWest

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.