Did you mean: 
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP-p2 Desktop Won't Noit Io

HP-p2-1394
I've been running Windows 8 (don't know which version) and did not upgrade to 10. About a month ago, my computer downloaded automatic updates that were not successfully installed and it's now stuck on a dark screen. I get a message that says something like "update files being removed" [not the actual words]. I left it running overnight and it still said the same thing next morning. Tried to interrupt it with Escape key, F8, Cntrl-alt-del --- nothing doing. I finally unplugged the cord. I waited a while and turned it on again, hoping I might get the DOS screen. The same thing happened (and has continued to happen on successive tries). When it starts up, it begins downloading and trying to uninstall the downloads. Neither the Windows or DOS screens come up. Each time I've let the install process run -- in one case for a whole weekend -- to no avail. Each time I have to unplug the computer to get it to stop. I have no control with the keys. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 6
607 602 39 76
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to perform startup repair
Shut down your notebook
Press f11 repeatedly as soon as you press power button
Select advanced option
Select startup repair
Follow on screen instructions
I hope this will work for you
Good luck.
I hope this worked for you.
If it worked for you don't forget to Mark as Solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. Was able to get to system repair via F11 but none of the sessions will work. Incl7ding system reovery, system refresh, system reset and using my usb backup files. As soon as I click on any of the fixes, the computer starts trying to remove the update files that couldn't be installed. A message tells me not to turn off the computer but even after letting it run 3-4 days, it doesn't fix itself. Once it's in this state, there's no mouse or F-key control and the only way to end the loop Is to unplug the computer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
607 602 39 76
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, you need to reinstall Windows manually
I have Great article for you.

http://techsimplifier.blogspot.com/2017/08/how-to-install-windows-what-is-clean.html

And follow clean install (but delete only c drive do not touch any other drive).
Best of luck...
Good luck.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for responding. A  clean install will wipe out all my files won't it? Is there no way to fix this using the USB backup I have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
607 602 39 76
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You don't lose anything if you select c drive and just install the Windows into it(do not format/delete c drive). Other drives aren't affected but all data in c drive will be moved to the c:/windows.old and you can recover your data from there 😉
Good luck.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation