Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP pavilion desktop 400-434 power issue

HP Recommended
HP pavilion desktop 400-434
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi my HP pavilion desktop 400-434 will occasionally just power off and won't start back up until I've left it unplugged for a significant amount of time. Talking hours here. I've tried all the available troubleshooting steps and replaced the power supply and nothing has changed. As a sysadmin I've never see this before. Tried narrowing down components plugged into the motherboard and nothing brings it back unless its simply unplugged for hours. Any ideas out there?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JesseTheJames wrote:
My HP pavilion desktop 400-434 will occasionally just power off and won't start back up until I've left it unplugged for a significant amount of time. Talking hours here.
Nothing brings it back unless it's simply unplugged for hours.

My guess is "overheating" has caused the motherboard to shut-down the computer, to prevent permanent damage.

Letting it cool-down for a few hours seems to be a good idea.

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run SPECCY, to get it to report:

* temperature of the motherboard,

* temperature of the processor,

* temperature of the disk-drive

Run SPECCY when the computer is "cold", to get "baseline" numbers.

Run it every 20 minutes, to see how the numbers change, as you use the computer.

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Didn't even cross my mind it could be a heat issue. These slimlines dont have a lot inside when it comes to cooling. Thank you so much, I'll definitely try that and post and update.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The motherboard only reached a sustained temp of 106 for about an hour. But once I plugged something into the USB the load seemed to kill it. I'm starting to suspect that maybe I just simply have a couple of compromised power supplies that may have been degraded by my house power. Either that or something with the motherboard can no longer handle the load. 

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> But once I plugged something into the USB the load seemed to kill it.

What the wattage of each of the power-supplies?

Have you added-in a high-end graphics card? An extra fan? An extra HDD ?

What device(s) are connected to USB ports?

Are you using a "powered" USB hub, in order to draw less power through the computer's USB ports?

Are you plugging some USB devices into the USB 2 ports, and some into the USB 3 ports?

> I'm starting to suspect that maybe I just simply have a couple of compromised power supplies.

Can you purchase a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to locate between the wall-outlet and the computer, to provide "smooth" power to the computer?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation