cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Cnimer
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP slim desktop 260-p0286 won't boot past wallpaper (Windows 10)

HP Recommended
HP slim desktop 260-p026

When I start my computer it let's me enter my password to log in and then it gets stuck on the wallpaper with no icons showing except for a small windows icon in the corner that usually has all my programs in it. The cursor moves and turns into a timer when it hovers over the small windows icon but I can't click on anything or do anything. I've run a fast system test and everything was working there: memory test, hard drive/SsD optimized DST check, I forget what else it checked. I am running a second pass system fast test right now that takes an hour. Please help. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
itsmyname
Level 8
2,532 2,515 91 272
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Cnimer -- it is possible that your Windows installation is messed-up, and that your hardware is OK.

One way to prove this is will take some effort:

1. if you do not have a "spare" disk-drive, purchase one. Maybe, a local "owner/operator" computer-store will have one for $10 to $20. Even a 60 GB disk-drive will have plenty of capacity for this experiment.
  2. open-up the computer's case, and disconnect the data and power cables from the disk-drive.
  3. remove the disk-drive.
  4. connect the "spare" disk-drive.
  5. if you use an Ethernet cable from the computer to your cable-modem, disconnect it from the computer.
  6. Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com
  7. it will offer to write the download to an 8 GB (or larger capacity) USB memory-stick, or to burn one DVD-recordable disk
  8. boot your computer from the newly-created device
  9. install Windows
  10. While installing, click "I do not have a product key", then choose "Windows 10 Home"
  11. Let the installation complete
  12. If your computer correctly has installed Windows, you should see desktop icons, and no "spinner" or "hour-glass"

Tell us if the above works.  If it does, the implication is that your copy of Windows (stored on the disk-drive that you removed) has a problem.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation