Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
09-21-2021 02:47 PM
Product: HP slim desktop 260-p026
When I start my computer it let's me enter my password to log in and then it gets stuck on the wallpaper with no icons showing except for a small windows icon in the corner that usually has all my programs in it. The cursor moves and turns into a timer when it hovers over the small windows icon but I can't click on anything or do anything. I've run a fast system test and everything was working there: memory test, hard drive/SsD optimized DST check, I forget what else it checked. I am running a second pass system fast test right now that takes an hour. Please help. Thank you!
1 REPLY 1
09-26-2021 08:52 PM - edited 09-26-2021 08:54 PM
@Cnimer -- it is possible that your Windows installation is messed-up, and that your hardware is OK.
One way to prove this is will take some effort:
- if you do not have a "spare" disk-drive, purchase one. Maybe, a local "owner/operator" computer-store will have one for $10 to $20. Even a 60 GB disk-drive will have plenty of capacity for this experiment.
- open-up the computer's case, and disconnect the data and power cables from the disk-drive.
- remove the disk-drive.
- connect the "spare" disk-drive.
- if you use an Ethernet cable from the computer to your cable-modem, disconnect it from the computer.
- Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com
- it will offer to write the download to an 8 GB (or larger capacity) USB memory-stick, or to burn one DVD-recordable disk
- boot your computer from the newly-created device
- install Windows
- While installing, click "I do not have a product key", then choose "Windows 10 Home"
- Let the installation complete
- If your computer correctly has installed Windows, you should see desktop icons, and no "spinner" or "hour-glass"
Tell us if the above works. If it does, the implication is that your copy of Windows (stored on the disk-drive that you removed) has a problem.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community.
If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community