Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z840
Linux

I'm setting up a Z840 that I got to build a vm lab machine out of.

It came equipped with an Nvidia N300 video card, which was working fine.

After installing ubuntu server 18.04 LTS from USB, the system would not boot into Ubuntu, I kept getting a no operating system error. 

I had installed it to an SSD that was connected to the integrated SAS controller. 

While researching that issue online, I saw several references to needing to setup secure boot and selecting what to boot, white list it, etc.   I attempted that, enabled secure boot, but couldn't find a place in the bios to select what specifically to boot. 

After I exited the BIOS setup, on the next boot, I got the 6 beep issue.   Read into that and it said it was a pre-video error, try reseating the video card.  that didn't resolve it.  then it suggested trying to clear the CMOS.  I did that via the reset button push for 5 seconds.   

At this point, the 6 beep/red light issue is gone, but I don't have any video output.  I've tried to find the default CMOS settings to see if it is related to the card not support UEFI but have been unsuccessful with that.  Before I go out and buy another video card I wanted to see if anyone knew if I'm on the right track.

Or have I messed it up in some other way that i'll need to try to recover from?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.