Level 2
19 10 2 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HPE-140F computer dead but has green light on power supply

HPE-140F
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I had to shut down the machine and when I tried to restart it, nothing happens. There is a green light on the power supply. I know that at times when we've lost power at the house it takes a day plugged in to come back to life but this has been almost a week.

I haven't changed the configuration of the computer in years so no new hardware was added nor was any removed.

I know it's almost 10 years old and time for a new one, but is there anything I can do cheaply in the meantime to resurrect this one? Money is tight and it might take a few months to save up for a replacement one.

Thanks,

Bill

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> ... at times when we've lost power at the house

> it takes a day plugged in to come back to life

> but this has been almost a week.

It is strange that it will not start immediately after the end of the power-outage.  Not a good sign!

> I know it's almost 10 years old and time for a new one,

> but is there anything I can do cheaply in the meantime to resurrect this one?

> Money is tight and it might take a few months to save up for a replacement one.

Access www.bestbuy.com

Do a search for "refurbished desktop".

For about $200 US, you'll find computers running Windows 10, with "double" everything (RAM, disk, processor) of your current hardware.

It could cost $50 to $70 for a computer-technician to try to trouble-shoot, with no guarantee of success, with additional costs to replace any failed part, bringing a "repair" to over $100.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
19 10 2 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree it's not a good sign with the computer.

I was just wondering if there were simple checks I could do to diagnose the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@getfacsw wrote:

I agree it's not a good sign with the computer.

I was just wondering if there were simple checks I could do to diagnose the problem.

Do you own a "multimeter" -- to make simple measurements of the voltage outputs from the power-supply?

Got a friend with a spare power-supply?

Simply connect it to the primary power-socket on the motherboard, and try to power-on, to see if your power-supply has failed.

Simply try your power-supply in another desktop computer, to see if it is your motherboard that has failed.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation