Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After spending money to build a good machine with 64 GB RAM and SSD drives - everything was running well on windows 10.  I ran the HP tool to update drivers and selected to download an install updates.  One of them being the BIOS update - the expectation was this would create a USB installation, but instead the installer must have tried to update the bios from windows.

After the tool started the bios update, I simply had to wait for it to complete, after 5 -10 minutes the mouse locked up, nothing was responsive and only reset was possible.

When i tried to power on the computer the system did not show HP logo or anything - just black screen and fan noise.  I then performed a cold restart (remove power, insert power) and all i have now is black screen and fans spinning very fast.

My machine was working fine - something in the BIOS update has caused this - so I am really really cheesed off after just spending over £350 on memory and SSD drives.

I have tried setting the crisis jumper on pins 1 and 2 (the two pins to the front of the machine) - inserted a 3.97 GB USB stick (tried formatting as FAT and FAT32)  in the top front USB port with the bios file extracted from the HP BIOS download that was in the DOS folder.  Nothing happens.  USB doesnt light up, there are no lights on the keyboard, there are no bleeps, power light is green and a blue light is seen on the back of the computer.

I really am annoyed with HP tools.  This only happened because the Hp tool said update was critical, I used the HP tool and it has ruined my computer surely i must get some Support to fix this problem.

Removed CMOS battery and then placed it back.  no change.

Please can anyone help me out and think what else it could be?  This was my learning computer so it has really set me back.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

>  After the tool started the bios update, I simply had to wait for it to complete,

> after 5 -10 minutes the mouse locked up, nothing was responsive and only reset was possible.

The BIOS-updater software should have saved a copy of the current BIOS to your disk-drive.

See: HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

for details.

HP Recommended

Given the system halted whilst doing the update and power down wa sonly optoin, i dont think it saved a copy of the BIOS.  I did however try that process which didn't work either.

The thing is - i cant even do the advanced recovery using the crisis jumper- there are no beeps, no lights on the keyboard, doesn locate and use the USB with a copy of the bios.

HP Recommended

@Aki5 wrote:

Given the system halted whilst doing the update and power down

wa sonly optoin, i dont

think it saved a copy of the BIOS. 

I doubt that the BIOS-updater program can "multitask" while working.

So, I expect that the system would become non-responsive.

Remove the disk-drive from the computer, and attach it as a secondary disk-drive into some other desktop.

Access the "System Recovery" partition, and "view hidden files", and see if you can find that file that is the copy.

Have you ruled-out the possibility of having a failed power-supply?

HP Recommended

Even if i get to the old bios file from the disk drive and put it on USB - i am seeing no activity on the USB drive.  No keyboard lights.  No beeps - nothing - just black screen and fans spiinning.

I have tried to download an older version of the bios following https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03993436

and there is no change.

It would be a big coincidence that Bios update was running and then power supply dies.  However how can i eliminate the power supply.  CD rom is getting power and ejects, fans are spinning up and quite fast.

HP Recommended

@Aki5 wrote:

1. Even if i get to the old bios file from the disk drive and put it on USB - i am seeing no activity on the USB drive. 

No keyboard lights.  No beeps - nothing - just black screen and fans spiinning.

2. It would be a big coincidence that Bios update was running and then power supply dies. 

3. However how can i eliminate the power supply.  CD rom is getting power and ejects, fans are spinning up and quite fast.

1. Those symptoms imply that the POST (Power On Self Test) either does not start, or does not "beep", just once, after the POST successfully completes.

2. When you rule out the impossible, you're left with what is possible, not matter how unlikely that it is.

3. A fully-functional power-supply must output several different voltage-levels, to the different components.

One of the levels spins the fans.  It's possible that a different level powers the motherboard.

Fans that are spinning fast imply that the POST has not told the fans to slow-down to make less noise.

Do you have a multimeter that can measure the various output-voltage levels, and to compare with the specifications?

Do you have a compatible power-supply that can be swapped-in?

HP Recommended

I dont have a multi-meter unfortunately, but if required could source one.  Never used one before so would need instructions where to connect it and take measurements.

Unfortunately no spare power supply or anything to try and swap things  etc.

POST not running would mean a faulty BIOS?  On the Z820 what is the easiest way to have the bios reprogrammed?

HP Recommended

@Aki5 wrote:

1. I don't have a multi-meter unfortunately, but if required could source one. 

Never used one before so would need instructions where to connect it and take measurements.

2. Unfortunately no spare power supply or anything to try and swap things  etc.

3. POST not running would mean a faulty BIOS? 

4. On the Z820 what is the easiest way to have the bios reprogrammed?

1. A professional computer technician would have one, and would know how/where to measure.

2. A professional computer technician would have one, and try using it.

3. Not necessarily. The POST needs a working motherboard, processor, and RAM.

4. There is no "easy" way.  See: HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

Also, I doubt that the BIOS is the cause of your symptoms.

Finally, a failure to update the BIOS can "brick" the motherboard.

I think that it's time for you to pay a professional computer technician, since you seem to have done everything that you are comfortable attempting.

HP Recommended

How old is the computer?

Is the HP Warranty that came with the purchase still valid?

If so, contact HP, to open a claim against the warranty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.