Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Error 3F1

HP Slimline 260
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I'm getting a 'blue screen' error message on boot up saying

Hard Disk Error, please run the hard disk test in system diagnostics, hard disk 1 (3F1)

When I run the run diagnostics and quick check I get the following message:

Smart Check:Passed

Short DST:Failed

Failure ID: U087WK-8KJ5G1-XD4CQ1-60X103

I tried the hard disk in my friend's PC and it booted up fine and took me into windows.

I also tried his working hard disk in my PC and got the same error messages.

Therefore, I have eliminated that this is not a hard disk problem so does anyone out there have any other things I can try.

Many thanks  

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Error 3F1

@Warby3 wrote:

1. Hard Disk Error, please run the hard disk test in system diagnostics, hard disk 1 (3F1)

2. When I run the run diagnostics and quick check I get the following message:

Smart Check:Passed

Short DST:Failed

3. I tried the hard disk in my friend's PC and it booted up fine and took me into windows.

4. I also tried his working hard disk in my PC and got the same error messages.

5. Therefore, I have eliminated that this is not a hard disk problem

Your computer: HP Slimline Desktop - 260-a062il PC Product Specifications

1. A big "clue" is the '3F1', not a '3F0' identifier.

The first device inside your computer, either a CD/DVD or a disk-drive or a SSD (Solid State Device) usually is assigned as '3F0'.  The second such device usually is assigned as '3F1'.

Does your computer have a CD/DVD device?  The above "specifications" implies that you do not.

If not, then what device *IS* currently assigned as '3F1' ?????????????????

2. Was the diagnostic testing the '3F0' device or the '3F1' device?

3. Did you try the '3F0' device or the '3F1' device in your friend's PC? 

If it was the '3F0' device, then it makes sense that it booted without any message.

4. His working hard disk worked in your PC probably because it became the '3F0' device, and the '3F1' device in your computer still generates the message.

5. Unlike you, I have *NOT* eliminated that this is a hard disk problem.

On your computer, disconnect and physically remove the disk-drive, and then restart your computer.

If you still get the error-message, with your disk-drive physically "outside" of your computer. then the '3F1' device is still inside your computer, and still is causing the message.

Also, your disk-drive is OK, both when inside your computer and when inside your friend's computer.

What is possible is that your computer has a SSD, either a 'M.2' memory-stick, or a SSD, still connected to the motherboard? If you physically remove that device, and reconnect your disk-drive, and restart your computer, do you still get the error-message?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Caution: clicking the Report Inappropriate Content hyperlink might get me permanently banned from this forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Error 3F1

Hi, many thanks for the reply.

I do have a cd drive and I got this error message when I had disconnected the cd drive so that's caused the confusion sorry.

I have put it all back together and now get an error message on blue screen:-

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk - (3FO)

ANy ideas

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Error 3F1

@Warby3 wrote:

I do have a cd drive and I got this error message when I had disconnected the cd drive

I have put it all back together and now get an error message on blue screen:-

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk: Hard Disk - (3FO)

If you get any error-message with the CD/DVD device *NOT* connected, then the CD/DVD is not part of the problem.

Enter BIOS SETUP, and check that the disk-drive has been detected.

But, since the motherboard has assigned "3F0" to it, it probably has been detected.

Also, check that the disk-drive is listed as one of the "bootable" devices.

But, since the motherboard has scanned the disk-drive, and has *NOT* found the correct "boot" files, my suggestion probably will not be helpful.

If you again remove the disk-drive, and temporarily install it in that other computer, does that other computer boot from it?

Or, if you again remove the disk-drive, and temporarily install it in that other computer as a "secondary" disk-drive, and boot that computer from its "primary" disk-drive, can you access the files on that "secondary" disk-drive?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation