Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-079na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Im struggling to fix this error message and am looking for some help. Suddenly every time i turn on my computer i get a "Hard Disk Error" along with "Hard Disk 3 (3F3)" message asking me to run the System Diagnostic. I have run all of the system diagnostics related to the hard disk (some of which went on overnight) and all have passed but this message still appears every time i turn on the computer. I do have some external hard drives connected and i have tried booting the computer with and without these and again it does not have any effect.

If i don't run the system diagnostic and just exit and let the computer carry on booting it works absolutely fine. I have tried running some of the Windows diagnostic tools and they have not found anything either. Does anyone know what i can do to either fix this or stop it appearing? Any help would be really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Very strange error.

I would enter the BIOS. Then reset defaults.

Or remove/reseat the CR2023 MB battery to reset CMOS. Or replace this battery

Wild card option is the HDD is failing but HP diagnostics is indicating a false positive (the drive is good but it is failing).

Install Windows on a different known good HDD. Boot to the drive to see what happens.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for that, it's been a great help.

Good news and bad news i suppose. I did a reset and restarted the computer but the same error appeared (bad news) but this time when i ran the "Hard Drive Extensive test" i got the following results (good news that it finally found something):

Hard Drive SMART Test - Passed with 2 warnings

Hard Drive Short DST Test Check - Warning

Hard Drive Optimised DST Check - Passed

Hard Drive Long DST Check - Passed

I was hoping that the test log would give me an idea as to what the warnings are so i tried to save a copy of the log in a few places but i can't find them when i log into the computer. It also didn't give me a failure id as when i look at the log summary it shows a pass.

Is there anyway i can find out anymore information as it is still showing the same error every time i turn the computer on, asking me to run the same scan.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Any warning messages when using HP diagnostics means the HDD may be in trouble.

I would replace the HDD.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.