2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive trouble?

Pavilion 15-p100dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

The screen on my laptop has been broken for a while, and so I recently ordered a new screen for my laptop. I took apart the laptop, put the new screen in, and it worked! Except that it had a small green line in the middle of the screen. The laptop worked fine, started up and got into windows great, but there was a persistent green line. Thinking that this was possibly because I hadn't connected the cable correctly, I tried to reconnect the display cable to the motherboard, but after I put the computer back together, I ran into the problem I have now- it won't startup into windows. The screen still works, and it still has that green line, but it won't finish booting.

My computer will start up on a powered black screen, the hp logo shows up as well as "Preparing Automatic Repair". The loading circle will start circling above, the screen will go black, and for a split second, two windows seem to appear on the screen. The screen goes black, and then it goes back to the HP logo, and it now says "Diagnosing PC", then "Attempting Repairs" with the loading circle. This continues for about 3minutes, before it goes to a light blue screen that says "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC."

If I try to Reset, it goes to "Geting things ready" for like 30 seconds before saying "There was a problem reseting your PC. No changes were made."

I tried running a diagnostics from HP's UEFI diagnostics on the laptop, and it gave me this failure ID: GLV6SJ-7AE97P-MFPV7F-60X903, which is an error on the short DST test on the hard drive.

Looking at the error log on the BIOS level (or whichever one looks the same as it did in the 90s), it says error 0500. It didn't say that the first time I looked at it, but it did the second time I checked.

I tried a hard reset, (unplugging cord and battery, pressing power 15 seconds), to no avail, and I also tried to reinstall windows from a flash drive.

Looking at the motherboard, since that's what changed between it worked and didn't, it seems like the cable between the hard drive (a 750 gb HDD, not solid state) seems a little creased in one or two places. Do you guys think that that is the problem? Or should I just say it's a lost cause?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Drive trouble?

> running a diagnostics from HP's UEFI diagnostics on the laptop,

> and it gave me this failure ID: GLV6SJ-7AE97P-MFPV7F-60X903,

> which is an error on the short DST test on the hard drive.

If the DST ("drive self test") fails, it's time to replace the "failing" disk-drive.

If you need confirmation that it is failing, physically remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a secondary disk-drive in some desktop.  Then, download & install the free SPECCY software, expanding the "SMART" sub-section of the "Storage" section, and look at the SMART report for the secondary disk-drive.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

It probably will confirm that the disk-drive is in "imminent failure" status.

There might possibly be enough remaining "life" in the disk-drive to use "disk-cloning" software, to copy, block-by-block, from the "old" disk-drive to a brand-new disk-drive.  If a few blocks cannot be copied, then 99.999% of the blocks have been copied.  If you're feeling lucky, those "missing" blocks are not "critical Windows system files".

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation