Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

P7-1240
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

No boot up..

hard disk short dst fail code OGDXWC-00096C-WPTX1F-60WU03

hard disk long dst fail code OGDXWC-00096C-WPTX1F-61E403

can someone tell me what these codes mean and what are my chances of data recovery, what methods of data recovery are available for this failure.

thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,438 22,381 2,048 4,892
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

@Mab_speed

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, don't know what the codes mean ... but here is information on data recovery:

IF the drive has failed, there is nothing you can do to fix it.

As you continue to use the drive, you're overwriting the files and folders that got erased.  The more you use it, the less likely you'll be able to recover anything on it

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the hard drive from the PC
2) Purchase a USB-to-Hard Driver adapter kit (like the one illustrated below)

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

3) Connect the old drive to the working PC
4) Try to retrieve the files and folders you want to save from the old drive and copy them to the new PC.

If this does not work, then you need to do the following:
1) Download and install this utility on a working PC http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/recover_data_in_3_steps_with_minitool_power_data_recovery_free_...
2) Run the data recovery utility to see what can be retrieved from the old drive.

If that tool does not find what you need, an alternative is Recuva  http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And, if that does not work well, the best tool out there is this one, but only the trial version is free  http://www.file-recovery.com/

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

Thank you for the quick response..
Do you think i should try plugging my failed hard drive into an old computer as a secondary drive.. might that work or do more harm?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

@Mab_speed wrote:
Thank you for the quick response..
Do you think i should try plugging my failed hard drive into an old computer as a secondary drive.. might that work or do more harm?

That will work, better than the external USB adapter that the Other Person recommended, because an "internal" connection to a disk-drive transfers data more quickly than a USB connection.

Note that even if Windows cannot "boot" from the disk-drive, the disk-drive might have enough remaining "health" to allow you to read your personal files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,438 22,381 2,048 4,892
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

@Mab_speed

If you mean, to do that only to recover data, then yes, that would be a better approach than an external adapter, since the internal bus is much faster.

But, if you mean to use that as a secondary drive, then no -- as the more you use it, the less likely you will be able to recover anything from it.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

Thanks guys... i was able to connect the non booting hsrd drive to the old computer and it was able to transfer my pictures off to the old computer... huge relief.. will set up a backing up system going fwd.. thanks for the quick responses.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard disk fail

> will set up a backing up system going fwd.

I would not "trust" that disk-drive at all.

Maybe, put it back into the original computer, and try to do a "one-last-time" backup of all your personal files.

Then, take a hammer to the disk-drive, to prevent any "identity-theft" by a thief who gains physical access to the disk-drive, and browses the files.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation