Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard drive failed extensive test and may need to be replaced?

Hp 19-2113w
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
My computer (HP 19-2113w All-in-one PC) fell off it's station this morning. There was no obvious damage, though the screen featured a 'glitched' design. I turned it off then on, and it eventually led to an error message stating:

' Boot Device Not Found
'Please Install an operating system on your hard disk'
'Hard Disk - (3FO)'

Following that was the 'HP startup link page, where I followed instructions including:

- Performing a hard reset.
- Restoring BIOS to default settings. ( instructions could only
be found for newer models, but I believe I did the
equivalent for my model)
- Testing the hard drive.
- Reseating the hard drive.

Upon exhausting these options to no success, I've figured the issue lies in the hard drive itself or otherwise, I need a install disk for an operating system (Windows 10 before the computer fell). If it's any help, the test results passed the SMART check, but failed the Long DST, with a failure ID of 90F3N8-7GS919-PXP96K-619B03 and a failure code of 305.
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,209 107,390 17,004 26,046
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The long dst indicates the hard drive was damaged and needs to be replaced.

After replacing the hard drive you can:

Order W8.1 recovery media and upgrade back to W10.  With this option, you will need to purchase a hard drive of the same storage capacity as the one that failed.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-19-2100-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/6879095/model/709637...

Clean install W10 for free by using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will give you the option of making a bootable W10 USB installation flash drive, or save an ISO file which you can burn to a DVD by using your DVD burning program's burn ISO file option.

When you get to the part of the installation script where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option (Skip), and W10 will install and reactivate once you are connected to the internet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul!

I figured it was a hard drive problem, but wanted to be sure. I'm appreciative of your links as well! It will save me a lot of trouble.

I am still having a little trouble in regards to actually 'FINDING' a replacement hard drive though. Do you happen to have another link for that? Or perhaps I can only get another one by ordering one from HP?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,209 107,390 17,004 26,046
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking at the specs page below, the illustration is that of a standard 3.5" desktop hard drive.

Since you've had the drive out, you can confirm the size to make sure.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-19-2100-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/6879095/model/7096373/d...

You may want to order an equivalent drive with the same 500 GB storage capacity, or bump it up to a 1 TB drive.

500 GB

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-500GB-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B013HNYV9W/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=15183...

1 TB

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B013HNYVLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=151837...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> ' Boot Device Not Found - Please Install an operating system on your hard disk' - 'Hard Disk - (3FO)'

In addition to what the Other Person stated, this could be a simple matter of a "disconnection":

* one end of the "data" cable has come loose from the disk-drive,

* the other end of that "data" cable has come loose from the motherboard,

* the power-connector has come loose from the disk-drive.

Any of these faults will cause a "device not found" message.

In general, check those connections, before spending any money.

But, in your case, since it passed the short (only a few minutes) disk-drive test, the disk-drive is receiving power and is communicating with the motherboard.  So, replacement is your only option.

Note that since the disk-drive still seems to have some "life", it may be possible to use "disk-cloning" software, to copy everything, block-by-block, onto a new disk-drive.  If a few blocks cannot be copied, then 99.999% of the blocks have been copied.  If you are "lucky", then those "missing" sectors might not be "critical", e.g., keyboard layout for a Latvian keyboard.  But, since you are getting "operating system not found", you might have to use "Windows Repair" to diagnose and fix the "unable-to-boot" problem.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation