Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After recently upgrading to windoWi 10, I was carrying out a standard windows update and when I came back to my pc (pavilion g5410uk) the bios cannot find the hard drive, so cannot load,  after opening up the side panel I can clearly see the harddrive in it usual position. The computer then keeps looking for the realtek PCIe Fe drivers?

What can I do?  I have loads of data so

Tired on there and it will take months if not years to get it all back! I have even tried to do a full factory reset but it won't do that 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Assuming you know where the data is stored on the hard drive and need to move it to a different place off the hard drive, I like to use a Linux Live OS to do that type of action, especially when Windows fails.  I like Ubuntu or Knoppix for that type of task.  Using a Linux Live OS (on USB or DVD) does not require any changes to the installed OS and can accomplish the task.

Stop Windows from doing anymore with that hard drive, as it could overwrite any/all of the data that is hold dear.

Here is no the Ubuntu Live download.  It has most drivers for just about any PC configuration.  Use a different PC to make this Live media.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the advice... The hard drive has completely died in that the pc cannot even detect it when it is connected, I have checked everything cables connections the system BIOS just cannot see it's all. I have excepted my fate and am buying a new hard drive. I am determined to get as much use out of my existing pc as possible rather than buy a new one. I have contacted Microsoft and they have stated that I will be able to download windows 10 again for free as it was a hardware failure. Was about to back up all my data when the failure happened. (I actually had a 128gb usb drive ready to go once it was finished defragging) just really annoying. I might take the said hard drive to a tech expert to see what if anything could be done with it.... 

HP Recommended

Yes, there is a download for Windows 10 users.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions for either a USB or DVD.

As to the effort to get data from the old hard drive, I like to use the same Ubuntu as noted earlier, boot the hosting PC to the Live OS and connect the old "failed" hard drive either with an extra SATA port or a device similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIE996S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00BIE996S&pd_rd_w=YEqIG&pf_...

I use the type that has it own power supply so the hard drive does not pull power from the USB port.  That way most any PC can host the old drive.  The Linux Live OS can address many types of hard drives and see find the data even when Windows says it cannot.  Last ditch effort before paying someone huge fees for data retrieval.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.