• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Have an HP Pavilion p6110y desktop.

HP Recommended
Pavilion p6110y
Hangs at HP screen. Keybrd and mouse seem to initialize (light up), then no keybrd functions.
If I hold f10 (setup) while powering up, goes to "entering setup", then just hangs there.
Have cleaned case, added heatsink to cpu, and removed hardware. Also checked pwr supply voltage. Seem to get good output of 5v and 12v.
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,042 10,038 942 2,747
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On a unit that old, it could be several things that cause that symptom.  First thing I do is boot up to a Linux live cd and see if the PC can actually boot.  It could be the hard drive or Windows or another hardware item has failed.  If the PC can boot the Linux Live CD and do most everything you would want to do, then it most likely not a hardware problem.  Then it comes down to the hard drive or Windows install.

According to the support page, that PC came with Windows Vista

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6100-desktop-pc-series/3942799/model/3974985/docum...

Is that still the case or has it been updated?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for the input Dean.
Unit hangs on HP screen and won't allow any keybrd input. Can't boot to cd, or even go into setup. Have already tried different hard-drive and RAM.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,042 10,038 942 2,747
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds to be more than just an easy fix.  Just to make sure about a few things, I still would disconnect the hard drive, both SATA data and power.  Make the Linux Live CD on a working gomputer and then place that CD in the DVD/CD drive.  Try to power up the old PC in that manner.  If it still does not work, then replair shop or replace with a newer one.  It does not have to be brandnew as a refurb will provide an adequate working PC, more modern than the failed unit, and a reseasonable proce.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks Dean...have disconnected all devices. Can't boot to cd at all.
Possibly motherboard issue. Looking at refurbed units now.
I appreciate your input!
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation