Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6 2378

Hi all - 

Not sure if anyone can help with this or not, but thought I’d try.   I have an older HP Pavilion 6-2378 Desktop that I am wanting to bring back to life.   

When I turn it on, I hear to two beeps (I think this means the BIOS is loading??) but then ..... nothing....   just a black screen.    I have tried to power it down per HP instructions - power down, unplug, hold power button for 10+ seconds, plug in power source, and retry - but I end up with the same result.  

Last night I opened up the case, removed the fan, cleaned out all of the dust, and unplugged and plugged back in the connections, including both RAM sticks.  

Anyone have an idea on how to bring the ol beauty back to life?  

Thanks in advance!

A1DA5528-2975-457A-8507-83250DF2FEA4.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee

All I can tell you is: if this is your 2012 PC (Link), you have a CPU or CPU fan problem.

This (Link) shows possible problems when hearing a two beep code for HP PCs manufactured before 2015.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks Grwacz!

I ordered a new CPU (AMD A10-Series A10-5800K) and more/RAM to hopefully help.  

the AMD processor I bought was the “best” listed upgraded CPU on the HP site for my motherboard.  

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2300-desktop-pc-series/5295969/model/5306020/doc...

Do you know if the jasmine motherboard would take newer/more recent AMD processors or would you suspect this to be the best my mother owed could handle. 

thanks!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

The Jasmine CPU upgrade options would be limited to HP's suggestions at your link.

It is possible a new CPU would fix the problem but you could have a MB problem or a different hardware problem.

I hope the new CPU fixes the problem. I don't know if I would have bought a new CPU without checking other components first. I would not install the new RAM until you verify the new CPU fixes the problem.

A good local PC tech would have the resources to test all components to find the failing part.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.