Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been provided with an SMC.bin file by HP to perform a BIOS password reset. I have responded, stating that the instructions they provided don't do what it states:

Copy the SMC.bin to a FAT32-formatted USB stick, then:

"- Press "Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key" all keys at same time and turn on the system
- Release all keys and press F10 at HP logo to go to F10 setup to “Reset BIOS security to factory default”

No 'SMC command failure reasons' or 'Wrong UUID is provided' error - it just boots into WIndows 10.

They also provided a link with instructions of how to set up an HP_TOOLS partition, but the link didn't work.

HP responded, advising me to replace the motherboard. Is the command Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key applicable to ALL HP machines? It was a two-person job with a desktop with a wired keyboard, as opposed to a laptop. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Mr_Chippy

Lets see if this works???

Power down and remove power cord.

Open the case and disconnect the Data and Power connectors from your Hard Drive.

Connect the power cord, insert the USB stick and boot the computer.

Let it just go and try to boot.

See if it will now boot to the USB stick???

If not then use the HP procedure.

REO

Did you remove the RTC/BIOS battery???

If not DO NOT REMOVE IT.

HP Recommended

My first attempt at resolving this was to remove the CMOS battery, but to no avail.

I have tried booting from the stick drive, but it's not bootable.

I am hoping there is another way of triggering the SMC command, as I am assuming boot keypresses not responding isn't a motherboard issue.

I need to be able to update and change the bios settings, as it clearly isn't configured correctly (probably XMP turned off), as the machine has 16Gb of RAM, and even after a clean install, Win 10 is having caching issues and periodically freezing for about 30 seconds.

HP Recommended

The SMC.bin file they have sent is only active for 7 days.

Doesn't anyone have a suggestion for an alternative method of triggering the SMC command, or another means of using the provided SMC file to permit me to make changes to the BIOS settings?

HP Recommended

Dear @Mr_Chippy

This is a warning we give people posting that need an SMC.bin file.

Do not try removing the RTC/BIOS battery.  It will not remove the password, but it will reset the clock - as SMC files are time coded, a large disparity between the system clock and the time encoded in the SMC will cause it to fail.

REO

HP Recommended

I HAVE already tried the CMOS battery. The SMC isn't failing, the SMC command isn't triggering at all. No error messages.

HP Recommended

@Mr_Chippy

SO YOU SET THE TIME BACK TO DEFAULT WHEN YOU REMOVED THE BATTERY.

THE 7 DAYS HAS SINCE PASSED.

Good luck,

REO

HP Recommended

@REO51ST

@REO51ST wrote:

@Mr_Chippy

SO YOU SET THE TIME BACK TO DEFAULT WHEN YOU REMOVED THE BATTERY.

THE 7 DAYS HAS SINCE PASSED.

Good luck,

REO

To confirm, I have checked, as the BIOS will allow me to VIEW but not EDIT the settings without the password, that the BIOS date IS correct.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.