cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Jon_M_S
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

How do I configure a system to keep the NIC on for WoL?

HP Recommended
Various Deskop & Laptop models
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, at my work, I've been tasked with creating scripts to configure and implement Wake-on-LAN (WoL).

Everything works, as long as the IP address stays in the ARP table.

However, no matter the settings, when I turn off a system, the NIC also shuts off, the network connection is lost,

and WoL fails as soon as the ARP table is refreshed. (every 2-5 minutes).

What do I need to configure to keep the embedded NIC awake?

It should be possible, as we utilize PoE for our VoIP phones.

And, yes, I do realize that I can configure most systems to "Boot on Power Loss" (the G4 Elitebooks do not have this setting).

However, this does not allow for a controlled restore should the building lose power, i.e. let's make sure all the routers, servers and switches are on-line before we turn on the PC's. (Even though they are on APC's for 30-40 minutes, let's just check first.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
Jon_M_S
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, I found what I have written will work on the same subnet with just the MAC address and a broadcast IP.

Don't really understand why that works, while the specific "last known" IP fails.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation