Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 520 - 1020a PC

I was given a HP Touchdmart 52o 1020a all in one PC

I turn the computer on and it is stuck on Microsoft start up repair tool. 

The PC asked me to back up the computer and everything was saved In an external hard drive. 

I have tried letting the start up tool progress through but nothing happens  for a long time.

i have tried using the diagnostic system guides on HP support page but still nothing has changed. 

I prefer not to reset the PC to its original state as I don’t know if everything has been copied in the backup e.g. important bookmarks in browsers that I need. 

The computer is is way out of warranty,

i also know the OS is Windows 7 however I don’t know if it’s a 32 or 64 bit OS. 

Is is there anything I can do to at least get back into Windows again?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@George-81 I suggest using the HP Recovery media to perform a backup of your data and then, reinstall windows to resolve this issue: Click here for details.

(Scroll down to > Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot) OR when unable to boot to login in screen > If you want to back up your personal files, follow these steps to create a backup).

Also, try the command line chkdsk tool can be used to check (and sometimes repair) your drives for file system corruption. 

Open Command prompt from System Recovery Options and type chkdsk C: /f to check your installation for corrupted, invalid or deleted system files.

If the issue persists, after the check disk, 

• Restart your computer
  • Wait for your BIOS to complete POST (the screen with your manufacturer logo and/or system information)
  • Quickly begin tapping F8 repeatedly, until you see the list of boot options
  • Choose “Disable automatic restart on system failure”
  • Press Enter and wait for your PC to boot.
  • Note: this will not fix the boot error you are experiencing in and of itself.

If nothing works, please reinstall the windows using the recovery media, if you don't have one, order it using these instructions: Click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher, 

Thank you and Sorry for the very late reply

I have followed the recovery setup as you suggested and it worked perfectly.

I would like to know how can i use the backup recovery that 'Recovery Manager' had saved onto my external HDD.

I would like to place back as muych of my old system usingthis back up?

can you advise me on how this can be done?

I have also a have a mirror copy of the old HDD

Am I able to copy files into the new folder structure from the mirrored HDD?

(My understanding is the location of these files would have be placed in the exact location of the folder structure from the old Mirror HDD to the new OS folder structure)

I would not be replacing any system files of any kind just personal items photos, videos, etc.

Would this be advisable?

Thanks

George

HP Recommended

@George-81 It's better late than never! 😉

Here's the link to restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager: Click here (this should cover the first set of questions you've had)

And for the second set of questions, If I understand this right, you are referring to the backup that would be installed on your device via the external HDD? If not, please clarify and I'll help you accordingly.

If yes, you can go ahead with the restore as it only adds your personal files to the existing data.

Take care and good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Decipher

Thank you for the reply.

I will follow the steps in the link you provided and let you know if it is successful.

With the second part my question is more with curiosity,  

1. With the corrupted MSRT files in Win 7 OS

These files wouldn’t be copied back into the system?

( you did mention that only personal files will be added to existing data when using HP Recovery Manager )

2. Would Making a copy of the Comouter hard drive to an external HDD, reinstalling the OS on the Computer hard drive, then replacing files I wanted back into the Computer hard drive.

Would this be advisable?

( I haven’t done this, and realise this would be an overly tedious and painstaking task )

Thank you very much for the ongoing support, greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@George-81 Only the private files such as the videos, images, etc...you copied into the external HDD would be transferred or restore back to the computer,

none of the OS files would be copied as such if that answers your curiosity, and as for the second questions, the answer is the same as the above, system files, programs and other OS related applications are not a part of the backup, hence only private data will be recovered if successfully backed up into the external source.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.