Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp 705 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello good people ... I need a little help.

I updated the BIOS on my Hp 705 G1 SFF (AMD A8 6500b) to version 00.02.31 Rev.A and lost a very needed function.

Previos BIOS version was v02.17 Rev.A and everything was OK.

I need to set the idle power savings under OS Power Management to normal (default is extended).

When I do so windows won't boot ... it bootloops forever. 

As I said with v02.17 Rev.A that function worked flawlessly.

Can't rollback either, because as stated ... "Due to security changes, after this BIOS update has been installed, previous BIOS versions cannot be reinstalled."

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

can you try to reset the bios to default settings? or removing the cmos battery!! and see if it still continue to bootloop

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Yep, already tried that ... and that's a fresh copy of Windows with only drivers and MS critical updates.

Also tried flashing the previos 00.02.30 Rev.A, which is the oldest backwards compatible version ... no change.

With default settings boots no problem.

Setting idle power savings to normal mode is what messes things up.

I've tried messing with numerous combination of settings in BIOS in hope to make it boot with no success.

HP Recommended

Yes i understand! but what are you trying to accomplish changing that option?

I tried and used both options with no issue...but I saw no difference at all in performance or anything...

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

That is the only option that makes pretty bad CPU coil whine to go away.

It loses about 200 MHz of turbo boost, drops from 4.1 to 3.9, but I was more than happy with that.

HP Recommended

My computer CPU stays on turbo-boost 4.3Ghz  regardless of that Extended or Normal....

Mike
HP Recommended

I think that option messes up with AMD C-states ... you are rocking i7 :generic:

HP Recommended

Hello again.

After many hours of troubleshooting found the problem.

Latest MS updates KB4474419 and KB4493472 with the new SHA-2 code signing support are causing this issue.

I have other Hp 705 G1 SFF machines still with original v02.17 Rev.A BIOS, where the issue do not exist.

For now I'm hiding KB4474419 and KB4493472.

I hope Hp will release new BIOS rev. thah coexist peacefully with latest MS updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.