Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Deskpro 6200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded my HP DeskPro 6200 MT to Windows 10 and decided to update the BIOS too.

It had the original J01 2.06 BIOS and I found on the HP Site version 2.33. Of course I downloaded it

and installed it.

The PC now takes 2-3 minutes to boot. And I was upset to discover someone else had this

issue and was told not to go past version 2.28!!!

Here is the solution from Paul

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Hp-Compaq-6200-Pro-Bios-Update/m...

It is completely unacceptable that it should take this log to boot. Please tell me there is a way to go back to a previous

version. Why does HP provide V2.33 if its defective?????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The BIOS update is not defective.

It is only on W10 where that happens.

You have two choices...reinstall W10 in UEFI mode.  Someone on the forum said that fixes the problem.

Or, if you don't use Bitlocker, you can hide the TPM device in the BIOS' security menu.

Restart the PC, then start tapping the ESC key until you are presented with the boot option menu.

From there, select SYSTEM SETUP.  

Once inside SYSTEM SETUP, select SECURITY, inside that menu select DEVICE SECURITY.

Once inside that menu, select EMBEDDED SECURITY DEVICE ---> DEVICE AVAILABLE, change this setting to DEVICE HIDDEN.

Press F10 to save, and then go back in to double check it is HIDDEN.

Exit BIOS by saving all changes.

Reboot 

Rolling back the BIOS is definitely not an option.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

The BIOS update is not defective.

It is only on W10 where that happens.

You have two choices...reinstall W10 in UEFI mode.  Someone on the forum said that fixes the problem.

Or, if you don't use Bitlocker, you can hide the TPM device in the BIOS' security menu.

Restart the PC, then start tapping the ESC key until you are presented with the boot option menu.

From there, select SYSTEM SETUP.  

Once inside SYSTEM SETUP, select SECURITY, inside that menu select DEVICE SECURITY.

Once inside that menu, select EMBEDDED SECURITY DEVICE ---> DEVICE AVAILABLE, change this setting to DEVICE HIDDEN.

Press F10 to save, and then go back in to double check it is HIDDEN.

Exit BIOS by saving all changes.

Reboot 

Rolling back the BIOS is definitely not an option.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

I am blown away that you posted a reply so quickly. You're the best!!

So...

I downloaded 2.28 and was able to downgrade as you mentioned

but that still didn't fix the problem. Again 2-3 minute boot times.

And I don't even get the screen that allows me to look at the BIOS!

I will try the other options you mention and let you know.

Out of curiosity, if 2.33 is not defective yet doesn't work with Windows 10,

who is it for? The FAQ says something about updated microcode but what's

the reason?

Thanks again so much.

HP Recommended

As it turns out, V2.28 did NOT get applied..The patch utility showed me installing it

but now that I am in the BIOS, its still showing V2.33 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think the microcode update had something to do with processor security...some Intel security patch.

The 6200 Pro is not supported by HP for W10, which is why you don't see any drivers for it on the support page.

HP supports no PCs for W10 that were made prior to August of 2013.

The 6200 Pro was made in 2011.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

If you read the list of supported operating systems for any of the 6200 Pro BIOS updates, you will not see W8/8.1 or W10.

The BIOS update can't be defective if you are not supposed to be running any OS newer than W8 on your model PC, according to HP.

So, when you install a BIOS update when running an unsupported operating system, anything can happen.

This problem is minor considering there are two ways you can fix it, or you can install W7.

Sometimes you end up with an expensive doorstop when you experiment with BIOS updates.

Type:
BIOS
Version:
00.02.33 Rev.A
Operating Systems:

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Business (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Release date:
May 1, 2019
HP Recommended

I really liked Windows 7 but with MS no longer supporting it I had to move to Win10.

As for the 6200, it cost me nothing. I got it from an company that had no use for it.

I put an i7-2600 in it (originally had an i3-2100) for $25, an additional

8GB of RAM for 16GB total (from 8GB) for $15 and a new 500Gb drive SSD drive for $60.

For $100 this PC still has YEARS ahead of it and is plenty fast. Boots from BIOS to Desktop

in about 8 seconds.. 

By the way, disabling the TPM solved my issue with V2.33.

No need to go back to 2.28 as I never use BitLocker anyways.

Thanks again Paul. Have a good night.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's with the i7-2600, 32 GB of memory, nVidia GT1030 graphics cards and 240 GB SSD's.

Both running W10 Pro with BIOS v02.28

I cannot justify buying a new PC, because these things run so well.

HP Recommended

HI Paul

I decided this morning to try again and revert back to BIOS V2.28

but no luck. I tried with the HPQFlash utility (twice) and the DOS version

from the BIOS and neither worked. with the HPQ utility, it showed me

that its backing up the original BIOS then installing 2.28 then restarted the

PC but nothing happened during POST. Just launched Win10.

In  the case of doing it from the BIOS, it finds the BIN file but when I select it, it does nothing. 

I suspect you cannot revert back unfortunately. Any ideas?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Sorry Paul. I re-read your previous post that I CANNOT go back to an older BIOS. Oh well.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't revert back.  It may go through the motions, but that is all it will do.

If you look at the release notes for most of the BIOS updates including 02.33 they have this statement...

NOTE: Due to security changes, after loading this BIOS, older versions cannot be installed.

I highly recommend that you don't persist in trying to update the BIOS because you may eventually succeed in wrecking the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.