Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy. Bang &Olufsen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey all, I have a reoccurring problem with my hp 15in envy. It shows the hp logo and on the second spin it freezes. Have run all relevant tests and its passed them all. 

This happened 2 yrs ago and I got it to start several times but it kept shutting down. Especially when a video started. Then it wouldn't start anymore so I put it aside and after 2 yrs I tried it and it started. 

Now it has stopped again. 

It has done a bios update to no avail.

Can't get my head around this.

It won't run a system restore..freezes first. Automatic repair stops too.

I've tried several solutions for this problem but it still freezes.

Has anyone got something different to try?  

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

If running all relevant tests means you ran HP Hardware Diagnostics with a pass then you may have Windows corruption. The toughest problem to finding a fix is determining if you have a hardware problem or software problem. I can't draw a conclusion in your scenario.

Check hardware as follows: Start the PC. Tap "ESC". Select "F2". Run system tests and all component tests.

A hardware problem requires replacing the failing part. Windows corruption or a bad HDD may require reinstalling the operating system if you cannot do a system restore and automatic repair fails.

You can try a clean W10 installation if data loss is not a problem or you have data backups. Go here (Link) to download the W10 installation media creation tool on a different PC. Create the media. Uncheck create media for this PC, this allows use of the media on a PC having a different configuration than the target PC .

Boot to the media on the subject PC. See if you can install W10 clean. Skip the product number section when installing W10 clean. Delete each partition on the disk using the W10 installation media before installing W10.

A problem here suggests you may have a hardware problem which is not being detected by HP Diagnostics.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.