Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Myself and several others have posted on this same problem and no one has an answer. I find this hard to believe .

I mistakingly set all my PCI ports to compute in BIOS. so now when I startup bios makes it to the graphics card and does not see it. so boot up stops and get 6 beeps and flashes around 4 times then nothing.  Problem being pc does not boot far enough to get into BIOS settings. I have shut down, disconected power cord, pushed on off button to deplete charge, removed battery, pushed CMOS reset button. nothing will reset to factory BIOS.  There has to be some sollutin for this. After all  it is just bad settings on my part not a failure. Come on HP masters please help us all get to the bottom of this ....PLEASE !!!!

P.S. Jumped the CMOS pins also...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got It !!!!!!

Then crisis recovery jumper worked!!!! It allowed me to flash BIOS before doing anything else. I still had to take my graphics card from my other Z400 to get it to recognize again. after I ran it I put the old card back in and it runs great!

Wow it took me a couple of weeks to get it done (CRISIS RECVOVERY JUMPER) I will never forget that one....

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you remove every single cable, plug, etc attached to the PC before you pushed and held the cmos button?

All you should have is the bare box left when you reset the CMOS.

If not, you must, and you should hold that little button down for around 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work, then I suspect the motherboard has an issue.

The method I described works for all HP business desktop PC's.

That's how I do it, and have always been able to reset the CMOS that way.

HP Recommended

Yes, Ihave removed all cables from the back of PC and also all wires from PSU to MOBO

I cant imagine that the MOBO would fail from changing a couple of settings....

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

There is no other way to reset the CMOS that I know of, and I have been using HP business desktops since 2002, and they all work that way to clear the CMOS, and reset the BIOS to its defaults.

If you ever find a way to do it that is not the above, please let us know what the solution is.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have been searching around the workstations forum and it appears like you wrote that a lot of folks have this problem.

However one guy was able to resolve it by a very unconventional method...see this thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/z400-workstation-gi...

Here is the reply I am referring to...

We did, but it didn't change anything... BUT! We just solved it:

We took the z400 to a hardware shop where they told us that the CMOS reset button almost never works in HP workstations (?)   Then we put an old PCI (not express) graphics card in and indeed, the z400 recognized it, we were able to go into the Bios and put the setting of the two PCIe slots back to normal.  

So everybody, be warned: if you mess with the PCIe settings, the only way to change it back is by hooking up an old PCI VGA card.

And thank you, Kavejohnson, for all your ideas and help!

Cheers

Vinne

HP Recommended

Well Ikve tried everything else, I'll give it a shot and keep you guys posted !!! That kinda of makes sence because mine is not being recognized. NVIDIA Quado FX 1800. I also tried a ATI Radeon HD 4850 not recognized either

Well wish me luck and thank you ! Glenn...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Glenn.

You can probably get a used one cheap on eBay.

I would get one with various ports like VGA and DVI if you don't have a monitor that has a VGA connection.

HP Recommended

Hi again...If you read through the whole post the last guy says you don't need to get a PCI Video card...

Great. Thanks.
I had no idea, as I never studied PCI Express.

Had to go searching to make sure you're right;

this page is quite clear:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need​-to-know-about-the-pci-express/4/

To be more precise and pedantic I'd say 
"no need to buy an old PCI card" and 
"put a PCIe-x16 card in a PCIe-x8 slot".

There's an x8 slot next to each of the two x16 slots, all black.
The two plain-PCI slots are white, at the bottom.

HP Recommended

Hi, I was going to try moving to the white PCI slot but the card will not fit. The notch on the card is in the wrong place. I tried it the smaller black PCI slot and still didnt recognize. I ordered an old PCI card That fits the white slot (vga only) I found it for $11 on ebay.  Thats my next shot !!!! Ill keep everyone informed

DONT MESS WITH PCI SETTING IN BIOS........YIKES... Turns out the "compute" setting is for a very high end cards I beleive thats why not recognized.

HP Recommended

I'm looking forward to reading about your success story!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.