Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-07xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My machine: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-07xx 4EA19AA#AB2

I got it this month, Aug 2018

1. After I press the power button, I tap the ESC immediately. A BIOS menu will occur, which looks like: 

#F1 = System Info 

F2 = System Diagnostic 

F9 = Boot Device options 

F10 = BIOS Setup 

F11 = System recovery

Enter to continue#

Then I can get no reaction by pressing any of the button, except for 'Enter', which means I can not get into BIOS setup anyway by pressing ESC after power on. 

2. After I press the power button, I tap the F10 immediately. Nothing about BIOS happens and I get directly into Windows. 

3. After I press the power button, I tap the Fn + F10. Then I get into 'BIOS setup'. However, I can not do any change in it since 'accepting the change' needs the F10 to be pressed! 

4. The 'BIOS setup' menu does not look familiar for me... I did not find SATA controller mode, security boot etc. 

Anyway, I only need to install a ubuntu OS into my desktop ... I need that to do some research work ...

Any help, much thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>  I tap the Fn + F10. Then I get into 'BIOS setup'.

> However, I cannot do any change in it since 'accepting the change' needs the F10 to be pressed! 

If Fn + F10 works once, then it should work again, to accept the change(s).

Actually, while in BIOS SETUP, there is no need to press F10.

Instead, use the "arrow" keys (left, right, up, down) to navigate through the menu items, and use the ENTER key to "accept" the highlighted option.

Or, if you have a UEFI BIOS, the mouse may work.  Try it!

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

>  I tap the Fn + F10. Then I get into 'BIOS setup'.

> However, I cannot do any change in it since 'accepting the change' needs the F10 to be pressed! 

If Fn + F10 works once, then it should work again, to accept the change(s).

Actually, while in BIOS SETUP, there is no need to press F10.

Instead, use the "arrow" keys (left, right, up, down) to navigate through the menu items, and use the ENTER key to "accept" the highlighted option.

Or, if you have a UEFI BIOS, the mouse may work.  Try it!

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! 

That is quite an easy solution which I didn't realize. 

Fn+F10 works ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.