cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryS57
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

I set my HP p7-1417cb pc to legacy mode to use a video card.

HP Recommended
P7-1417cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I set my HP p7-1417cb pc to legacy mode to use a video card. It will only come on now to a blank screen. No bios screen and the monitor is not recognizing a video source. Any help would be appreciated. Cannot access the bios using the f10 or Win key + B.
3 REPLIES 3
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,744 6,728 634 1,516
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

If your PC is a P7-1417c (link) I can provide assistance.

Please tell me the exact video card you have installed in the motherboard.

A couple of things can cause what you are now seeing.

1. Secure boot (link) is disabled, Legacy boot is enabled prior to installing the new graphics card. The four character code must be entered to complete this change after saving and exiting the BIOS. Refer to the previous link and look at "Secure Boot Settings for Desktop Computers".

2. Uninstall the current graphics card drivers before installing the new graphics card.

3. Specific graphics cards have specific PSU requirements. Your PC has a 300 watt PSU.

More powerful graphics cards may also require additional six or eight pin PSU connections to the graphics card

300 watt PSUs normally don't have these additional PCIe connectors.

Regards

0 Kudos
GaryS57
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I actually got this working last night. The way I did it was I removed the bios/clock battery which reset the bios. I had removed the video card prior to removing the battery. Everything is back working as it was before. Guess I will have to find a different card with HDMI. That was the only reason for trying to install it in the desktop. Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,744 6,728 634 1,516
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Gary,

You're very welcome.

Okay, sounds good.

Regards

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation