Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-314

Title related. 
Here's the whole story: 

I wanted to give my brother an upgrade from his old Pentium build, and I had an old HP machine with an AMD A8 7600 lying around. He hands me his PC, and I swap the Motherboards. The CPU and Coolers stay on them, but the RAM, Drives and PSU stay the same between the builds. I boot it up, and...

"No boot device."
Alright. Maybe it just doesn't like his drive? 

I plugged in my personal windows boot drive, as it's the only one I have at the moment. I boot it up on this drive, and...

"No boot device."

Strange. Eh, he can deal with his Pentium while I figure this out. I put the builds back together, including my personal one. I give him his PC back. I turn mine on, and...
     "No boot device. Try unplugging any drives without a Windows boot on them."

Ok, this is kind of normal. Doing this helped last time, and... 

My personal build, which booted fine before I plugged it into the motherboard from the only HP PC in the house, was now not recognized as a boot device. My brother's PC was having the same issue.

TL;DR: After swapping parts from several builds, several of my drives no longer boot windows after being plugged into a motherboard from an HP PC.

I have a theory that something on that motherboard is killing any drive it doesn't recognize. If that is the case, this is genuine cause for legal action against HP. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi

Based on the concept of a GPT/MBR possibility across the PC's, I would check and Double check the BIOS settings for compatibility, and even hostility.

I would make a DVD/USB with Lubuntu on it as a yard stick and start from there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.