Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ENVY Desktop (860-160se CTO)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install an M.2 NVME drive as the primary boot drive for Windows 10. My bios does not list the drive however Windows 10 disk management does recognize it.

I can partition the drive fine in Windows.

I can even install Windows 10 from USB onto the M.2 drive.

However, after installing Windows 10, the bios cannot boot from it and the M.2 is still not listed as an option.

Why can't I boot from the M.2 drive and why isn't it listed in Bios?

I have an HP ENVY Desktop (860-160se CTO).

Some other info:

- I unplugged my other drives and left only the M.2 installed.

- Enabled legacy mode, the M.2 did not show up in bios.

- M.2 and PCI are all enabled (they are enabled by default).

- Updated Bios (BIOS (ROM Family 2B3A) to the latest.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are experiencing a very unusual situation.

Your MB has a Key M, M.2 socket.

What specific "gum stick" drive did you buy? HP consumer PCs usually want a PCIe type gum stick drive, SATA drives usually don't work at all which means no BIOS and no Windows detection.

I don't know how Windows can see the drive if the BIOS does not see the drive.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have the WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB.

It's the right key. It fit into the m.2 slot.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you have a compatible drive, it should work.

I can't process the fact that this drive is not detected in the BIOS but you can work with the drive in Windows Disk Management.

This does not make any sense. Windows can only interact with devices enumerated by the BIOS.

You should be able to clone or reimage the existing HDD installation of Windows to the new SSD or install Windows clean on the new SSD.

The PC should boot to the new SSD. 

Maybe you have a motherboard problem. Try the NVME SSD on a different, compatible MB to see what happens.

Maybe a different forum member has additional insight.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.