Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 850-060se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a Phoenix 850-060se with a 5820k and I recently bought a intel 760p NVME ssd as an upgrade to my rig. I found that I cannot boot into that drive even with a clean install of windows on it, but if I boot into my old SATA SSD that came with the machine, Windows recognizes the new drive and runs it at full NVME speeds. Is there an option in the BIOS I need to enable?

EDIT 1: It is running a HP Viking X99 motherboard with the latest revision of the BIOS, REV 8.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The M.2 socket protocol is very confusing.

Motherboard manufacturers can implement PCIe, or SATA, or both on the socket.

I would guess your motherboard's M.2 socket cannot support booting to M.2 PCIe devices. The Intel 760p is an M.2 PCIe  NVME device.

Windows 10 supports M.2 NVME devices as storage devices even if the motherboard does not support booting to this device.

This is why Windows 10 recognizes the Intel drive as a storage device when you boot to the operating system SATA SSD. Windows 10 installs the correct NVME driver so you can run this drive as a non-bootable storage device.

Your PC may not be able to boot from a M.2 PCIE device.

The BIOS, if it supports booting to an NVME device, should boot to this device without changing any BIOS settings. I have never had to enable NVME drive boot support in any systems I have worked with.

I suspect a M.2 SATA drive will boot correctly.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.