Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

Workstation Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi guys I have been reading a lot of post here recently but none has given me the results/ answers to my needs and I’m hoping someone could help me out here...

System workstation Z620
Bios 3.91.A
Expansión card PCIe ASU’s hyper mini x4
Intel SSD6 NVMe

My issue: I cannot boot from it even after a new install of win10

But I can do it using a SATA SSD

Thanks in advance for your time to read and help me
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,109 41,361 4,515 11,830
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

So you are able to install Windows 10 to the SSD?

Have you made it a GPT or MBR  format disk during the install?

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

#HelpStopTheSpread #PracticeSocialDistancing distancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

I format the nvme as gpt
And in respect to the ssd is via sata cable
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

Is the card at the following link the one you have? I have one of those in the Gaming PC I am typing this on.

My expansion card plugs into a PCIe x1 slot in my ASUS Rampage V Formula-Z motherboard. I put a Samsung SM951-NVMe-SSD with a PCIe interface.

myConfig.png

Were you able to install Windows (64-) bit to the NVMe SSD?

Please explain what you mean by "And in respect to the ssd is via sata cable."

I don't understand the reference since it is not a complete sentence.

NVMe is a type of memory controller. It is the currently most modern type. Many PCs are not compatible with it. It is high -end. HP has been using it for a couple of years in their Spectre notebook offerings.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

drives.PNG

Sorry for the bugy reply before i was over the phone.

I am able to see the ssd6 nvme from intel as you can see below and also the current SSD From Samsung which i'm currently on running Windows10

First blue line is the SSD using a sata interface

Second blue line is the SSD NVMe using a PCIe

Resuming what i said before:

I was Able to partially install Windows 10 in the NVMe ssd from Intel and formatted as GPT, but as soon as Windows install finish the proccess and reboot the machine, I receive the error message that there's no disk to boot from

I have checked the boot order but it doesn't show up the PCIe SSD

See below my current bios configuration

kind regards,

Carlos

bios.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

Have you noticed that two Windows Boot Managers are shown in BIOS?

Try changing the EFI HDD order in the BIOS.

Windows Manager on Disk 0 may be the one which will allow you to put the PCIe SSD at the top of the boot order.

There is a free utility called SIV (system information viewer) that can help you identify the order of the hard drives. It is available at the following URL.

http://rh-software.com/

Have you considered used the DiskPart utility at the command prompt to identify the hard disk order in the operating system? Use the List disk command to see the disk numbers. Use the list volume command to see which disks have bootable and system partitions.

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

Thanks for your prompt reply, I’m currently trying your suggestion and will get back to you as soon as possible.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

Hi @erico,
None of these methods seems to be working as the motherboard looks like it’s not recognising the PCI Express ssd as a Drive device when looks to boot from or at least is what I have seen during this days no matter what I do in the bios... do you have any specific setup that I could follow to accomplish this task?.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

See the following Microsofty document. Look at step 4 which shows how to prep the drive using DiskPart and then continue installing the OS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using...

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ssd6

HI Erico, 

Thanks again for your kind reply to my issue, I've done that already without luck as when the windows installation finish and reboot the pc happen two things, 

1 restart the installation if i leave the usb plugged in

2 show up the non-system disk or disk error

then...

I plug back in the samsung ssd and boot from it and I'm able to see in the explorer the intel ssd6 with all the windows information on it ready to work as a bran new install.

I really don't know what's the problem and it looks it's beyond the configurations made so far... 

If you have any other suggestions i'm open to heard it. 

kind regards, 

Carlos

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation